Author's Note: 10 Alternative Fuel Ideas That Never Made It Out of the Lab
Alternative fuel sources are critical to humanity's future -- that much should be clear to everyone by now. Scientists seem to be throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks, which may not be such a bad idea. This article lists a wide variety of experimental fuel sources. Some are very advanced and could see the light of day in the near future, while others are half-brained attempts at scamming investors. It'll be interesting to see which of them really catches on in the next few years. My guess is it won't be the dead cats.
- How Natural-gas Vehicles Work
- How the Hydrogen Economy Works
- Can I convert my car to run on water?
- How Alternative Fuel Pricing Works
- How Biodiesel Works
- How Gas Prices Work
- Could salt water fuel cars?
- How Electric Cars Work
- How Hybrid Cars Work
- Can I make my own ethanol?
- What if I put sugar in someone's gas tank?
- How E85 Ethanol Flex Fuel Works
- Is ethanol really more eco-friendly than gas?
- What is the crystalline substance found in disposable diapers?
- Can carbon fiber solve the oil crisis?
- Curiosity Project: Materials Science Pictures
- Bowe, Scott A., Smith, Robert L., Araman, Philip A. "A National Profile of the U.S. Hardwood Sawmill Industry." Forest Products Journal. September 2000. (May 21, 2012) http://www.srs4702.forprod.vt.edu/pubsubj/pdf/01t22.pdf
- Deutsche Welle. "Inventor Denies Dead Cat Fuel Ingredient." Sept. 18, 2005. (May 21, 2012) http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,1564,1713598,00.html
- Energy Resource. "Sawdust to Generate Power for Proposed Waste-to-Energy Plant in Nigeria." May 21, 2008. (May 21, 2012) http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m5CNK/is_2008_May_21/ai_n25451000
- Emspak, Jesse. "Air-powered car coming to India." Discovery News. May 9, 2012. (May 21, 2012) http://news.discovery.com/autos/air-powered-car-tata-motors-120509.html
- Fehrenbacher, Katie. "Apple's fuel cells will be powered by landfills." Gigaom.com. April 30, 2012. (May 21, 2012) http://gigaom.com/cleantech/apples-fuel-cells-will-be-powered-by-landfills/
- Fitzgerald, Michael. "Home Brew for the Car, Not the Beer Cup." The New York Times. April 27, 2008. (May 21, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/technology/27proto.html
- Hamilton, Tyler. "Turning dirty diapers into diesel." The Toronto Star. Oct. 29, 2007. (May 21, 2012) http://www.thestar.com/article/271380
- Keune, Nash. "Algae: Fuel of the Future?" National Review Online. March 8, 2012. (May 21, 2012) http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/292913/algae-fuel-future-nash-keune#
- Motavalli, Jim. "An Eco-Racecar That Runs on Chocolate." The New York Times. April 22, 2009. (May 21, 2012) http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/an-eco-racecar-that-runs-on-chocolate/
- Science Daily. "Colorful Idea Sparks Renewable Electricity From Painting Solar Cells." March 10, 2008. (May 21, 2012) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/03/080306223745.htm
- Stroh, Michael. "Turning Water into Fuel." Popular Science. Nov. 13, 2007. (May 21, 2012) http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2007-11/turning-water-fuel