Of course, the most fuel-efficient car is the one that isn't running at all. Using your feet or pedal power to get around can save you cash and help you get in better shape. Try walking or riding your bike for short errands rather than hopping in the car, and your wallet and waistline will thank you.
If your area has a transit system, look into commuting by train or bus instead of in your car. Not only does mass transit save on fuel, but you can also read your book or listen to a podcast on your commute without fretting about traffic. Is transit not an option, and your daily commute is too long a haul on foot? Set up a carpool with coworkers who live nearby to save fuel instead.
No matter what steps you take to drive less, leaving that car in the driveway is hands down the best gimmick-free way to use less gas.
For more great information, check out the links below.
- Blythe, Bruce. "Fuel prices peaked, but expected to stay high." The Packer. June 9, 2011. (June 10, 2011) http://www.thepacker.com/fruit-vegetable-news/fresh-produce-handling-distributing/Fuel-prices-peaked-but-expected-to-stay-high-123542969.html
- Clarke, Warren. "How To Change Your Car's Filters." Edmunds. Jan. 25, 2003. (June 21, 2011) http://www.edmunds.com/how-to/how-to-change-your-cars-filters.html
- Consumer Energy Center. "Should I shut off the motor when I'm idling my car?" California Energy Commission. (June 10, 2011) http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/myths/idling.html
- Consumer Energy Center. "Speeding and Your Vehicle's Mileage." California Energy Commission. (June 10, 2011) http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/transportation/consumer_tips/speeding_and_mpg.html
- Gerdes, Wayne. "Beating the EPA -- The Why's and How to Hypermile." Clean MPG. July 24, 2006. (June 10, 2011) http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510
- Kahn, Chris. "Oil prices rise on concerns about future supplies." The News Tribune. June 10, 2011. (June 10, 2011) http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/06/09/1699756/oil-prices-rise-on-concerns-about.html
- Koerner, Brendan I. "Nature's Air Conditioning." Slate. July 1, 2008. (June 21, 2011) http://www.slate.com/id/2194536/
- Loveday, Eric. "Countdown to Earth Day: How weight affects a vehicle's fuel efficiency." Autoblog Green. April 18, 2011. (June 10, 2011) http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/18/countdown-to-earth-day-how-weight-affects-a-vehicles-fuel-effi/
- Loveday, Eric. "Study: Aluminum could reduce vehicle body weight by 40%; cut fuel consumption by 10%." Autoblog Green. April 17, 2011. (June 21, 2011) http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/17/study-aluminum-could-reduce-vehicle-body-weight-by-40-cut-fue/
- Motavalli, Jim. "8 Facts and Myths About Warming Up Your Car in Winter." The Daily Green. Dec. 20, 2010. (June 21, 2011) http://www.thedailygreen.com/living-green/blogs/cars-transportation/warming-up-car
- Motavalli, Jim. "The Air Out There: An Endless Windows-vs.-Air-Conditioning Debate." The New York Times. July 30, 2008. (June 10, 2011) http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/30/the-air-out-there-an-endless-windows-vs-air-conditioning-debate/
- Mulkins, Phil. "Bad accelerating, braking habits cost drivers more in fuel." Tulsa World. April 6, 2011. (June 10, 2011) http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=15&articleid=20110406_15_E4_CUTLIN992147
- Salisbury, Susan. "Gas-saving Myths: Top Myths, Useful Tips for Conserving Gas, Cash." Sun Sentinel. May 25, 2011. (June 10, 2011) http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/pb-gas-myths-savings-20110520,0,5398213.story
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. "Reduce Climate Change." U.S.Department of Energy. (June 10, 2011) http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/climate.shtml
- Valdes-Dapena, Peter. "6 gas-saving myths." CNN Money. Aug. 12, 2008. (June 10, 2011) http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/12/autos/ways_to_not_save_gas/
- Woodyard, Chris. "100 mpg? For 'hypermilers,' that sounds about right." USA Today. June 27, 2008. (June 10, 2011). http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2008-06-23-hypermilers-saving-gas_N.htm
- Woodyard, Chris. "What experts think of hypermiler driving techniques." USA Today. June 27, 2008. (June 10, 2011) http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2008-06-23-hypermiling-gas-saving-tips_N.htm
How bad is it for your car to run on a nearly empty gas tank? HowStuffWorks takes a look under the hood.