Stock Car Racing Penalties
In early 2008, Dale Earnhardt Jr. lost a spoiler. It didn't blow off-it was confiscated by NASCAR officials for being illegally altered [source: Spencer]. At the same time, officials snatched David Reutimann's carburetor because of an illegal boost that could up his horsepower [source: Jenkins]. From fuel additives to a mid-race release of buckshot to lighten a car, any alteration you can imagine has a penalty to match, from a simple black flag, to confiscation fines and even suspensions.
In NASCAR, the ruling body is the National Stock Car Racing Commission. For local races, racers can be penalized with something as simple as the black flag or as severe as being asked to park the offending car, surrender points and sit out for the season. In June 2008, the Commission doled out probations, suspensions and fines of $100,000 to the HAAS CNC Racing team for "improper mounting" techniques [source: NASCAR]. With a plethora of penalties and fines, drivers and crews have to understand many rules.
When points are lost and fines are levied, teams might feel the pinch in the wallet, but the real price comes in the loss of points. And when everyone from the owner to the driver and the crew and car chiefs in between can be penalized, racing really is a family affair [source: Finney].
Specific rules are updated every year in August but it's in section 12-4-A of the rules, the catchall "actions detrimental to the sport of racing" where most infractions occur [sources: Borden, Demmons]. This section has covered just a few of the penalties that can be levied -- with more than 100 pages in the rulebook, there are quite a few more.
For additional information on stock car racing, visit the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- "Antitrust." Cornell University Law School. (Accessed 12/12/08) http://topics.law.cornell.edu/wex/Antitrust
- Bernstein, Viv. "NASCAR Penalizes Earnhardt For Rules Violation in Race." The New York Times. 04/1/04. (Accessed 12/10/08) http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=980CE5D81439F932A35757C0A9629C8B63
- Bolles, Bob. "NASCAR Car of Tomorrow- NASCAR Cot Technical Analysis." Circle Track. html (Accessed 12/11/08) http://www.circletrack.com/ultimateracing/ctrp_0712_nascar_cot_concept/index.
- Borden, Bill. "After years of playing catch up rules makes might be in front." ESPN. 05/02/08. (Accessed 12/10/08)http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/icons/news/story?id=3350712
- Caldwell, Dave. "Auto Racing; NAASCAR's Rule Tweaking Pleases Few." New York Times, The. 02/16/02 (Accessed 12/12/08) http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0DE7DC133FF935A25751C0A9649C8B63&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
- Caraviello, David. "Fact and fiction obscured sometimes by Smokey." NASCAR. 07/12/07. (Accessed 12/09/08) http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/07/12/smokey.yunick.crew.chiefs/story_single.html
- "Commission rules penalties to stand against Haas CNC." NASCAR.06/10/08. (Accessed 12/10/08) http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/06/10/haas.penalties.upheld/index.html
- Demmons, Doug. "NASCAR unloads on Robby Gordon, Earnhardt, suspends 8 crew chiefs." AI.com.02/20/08. (Accessed 12/11/08) http://blog.al.com/blogoftomorrow/2008/02/nascar_unloads_on_robby_gordon.html
- "Diamond Mountain Speedway 2008 General Rules." Diamond Mountain Speedway. (Accessed 12/12/08) http://www.dms-ut.com/newDMS/Rules/2008/General%20rules%2008.pdf
- "Fan Guide 2008." NASCAR. (Accessed 12/9/08) http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nascar/.element/pdf/2.0/sect/kyn/fan_guide.pdf
- Finney, Mike. NASCAR penalizes Vickers, race team." Delaware Online. 10/23/08. (Accessed 12/11/08). http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20081023/SPORTS06/810230356/1026
- Hammond, Jeff. The National Stock Car Racing Commission: What it is and does." FOX SPORTS. 03/25/05. (Accessed 12/12/08) http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/3482500
- "History of NASCAR." NASCAR. 07/17/08. (Accessed 12/11/08) http://www.nascar.com/news/features/history/
- "History: Stock Car Racing Collection." Appalachian State University. 2007. http://www.library.appstate.edu/stockcar/history.html (Accessed 12/11/08)
- Howell, Mark D. "From Moonshine to Madison Avenue." Google Books. 1997. (Accessed 12/12/08) http://books.google.com/books?id=3nkglUQqn1wC&printsec=copyright&dq=stock+car+racing+moonshine
- Huneycutt, Jeff. "Bending the Rules - Cheating Today is Becoming Harder to Do." Stock Car Racing Magazine. (Accessed 12/12/08) http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/general/scrp_0607_auto_race_cheating/index.html
- Jenkins, Chris. "NASCAR Inspections: See Them for Yourself." USA Today. 08/5/01. (Accessed 12/10/08) http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/brick400/2001-08-03-inspections.htm
- Jenkins, Chris. "Penalties Likely for Dale Earnhardt Jr., Michael Waltrip Nationwide Series teams." USA TODAY. 02/15/08. (Accessed 12/09/08) http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/02/15/daytona.friday.notebook.dearnhardtjr/index.html
- "Judge Rules in Favor Of NASCAR, ISC In Antitrust Suit." Sports Business Daily. (Accessed 12/09/08)http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/117549
- "Local and Global Racing Organizations Washington State/United States/International." Seattle Sports Commission. (Accessed 12/11/08) http://www.seattlesports.org/uploads/RacingOrg.pdf
- "NASCAR Drivers Race to Patriotism." American Veteran Awards. (Accessed 12/12/08) http://www.avashow.com/content/jeff_gordon/jeff_gordon.php
- McGee, Ryan. Top five cheaters in NASCAR history." FOXSPORTS. 07/20/07. (Accessed 12/11/08)http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/3473888
- "Racing News." The Home Depot. 02/22/05. (Accessed 12/10/08) http://homedepotracing.com/news/racing_news.jsp?stid=243
- "Some not thrilled with new tires, spoiler." NASCAR. 03/05/05. (Accessed 12/10/08) http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/headlines/cup/03/05/notebook_lede.ap/index.html
- Spencer, Reid. "Note: Junior's N'wide Car Impounded after changes." NASCAR. 02/15/08. (Accessed 12/10/08) http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/cup/02/15/daytona.friday.notebook.dearnhardtjr/index.html
- Stewart, Ben. "NASCAR's Controversial 'Car of Tomorrow,' Here Today." Popular Mechanics. 04/07. (Accessed 12/11/08) http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/motorsports/4212811.html
- "South Sound Speedway 2007/2008 Limited Late Model Rules." South Sound Speedway. (Accessed 12/10/08) http://www.southsoundspeedway.com/SportsmanRules.htm
- "South Sound Speedway 2008/2009 Street Stock Rules." South Sound Speedway. 5/17/08. (Accessed 12/11/08) http://www.southsoundspeedway.com/Street%20Stock%20Rules.htm
- "The Race Weekend." NASCAR. /04/28/08. (Accessed 12/11/08) http://www.nascar.com/news/features/race.weekend/index.html
- "Some Not Thrilled with New Tires, Spoiler." NASCAR. 03/05/05. (Accessed 12/12/08) http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/headlines/cup/03/05/notebook_lede.ap/index.html