One simple way to proactively protect your engine is by changing the spark plugs and wires. The wires running from your distributor send an electrical current to the spark plugs which then generate a spark to ignite the fuel and air mixture in your cylinders. They get a lot of use and they can cause your engine to run really rough if they get too old.
Changing the plugs and wires is typically not a difficult procedure and can be done with little investment in both time and money. Most manufacturers recommend changing them every 30,000 miles (48,280 kilometers), but some can go a little longer. When you change your engine's spark plugs make sure to change the wires at the same time to ensure you're getting the best electrical current to the plugs. If you change the plugs and wires regularly, your engine will love you for it. It's a move that'll keep your engine firing consistently and your gas mileage up at the same time.
For more information about proactively protecting your engine and other related topics, follow the links below.
- 2Carpros.com. "How and Engine Cooling System Works." (May 27, 2011) http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-an-engine-cooling-system-works
- Automedia.com. "Spark Plug Basics." (May 27, 2011) http://www.automedia.com/Spark_Plugs/ccr20041201sp/1
- CarCare.org. "Vehicle Symptoms." (May 27, 2011) http://www.carcare.org/media/vehicle-systems
- Cars.com. "Car Talk Service: Oil Changes." March 31, 2005. (May 26, 2011) http://cars.cartalk.com/content/advice/oilchanges.html
- Consumer Reports. "What to do if the 'check engine' light goes on." March 2009. (May 27, 2011) http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/news/2005/what-to-do-if-the-check-engine-light-goes-on/overview/index.htm
- Lazarony, Lucy. "Bad Driving Habits Can Wreck Your Wallet." Bankrate.com. Nov. 14, 2003. (May 27, 2011) http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/bad-driving-habits-can-wreck-your-wallet-1.aspx
- Memmer, Scott. "How to Change Your Car's Filters." Edmunds.com. Jan. 25, 2003. (May 27, 2011) http://www.edmunds.com/how-to/how-to-change-your-cars-filters.html
- Samarins. "Why Cars Break Down." (May 26, 2011) http://www.samarins.com/maintenance/engmain.html
Is it possible for something as simple as new motor mounts to increase engine response in your car or truck? Find out at HowStuffWorks.