Not all lowriders are classic American metal. And as lowriders became mainstream, they became popular in other countries as well, including Japan. So it makes perfect sense that Toyota, one of Japan's preeminent car makers, would want to celebrate 50 years in the United States with an anniversary edition Toyota Camry lowrider.
To get it done , Toyota had Lowrider Magazine completely customize the car, adding bright orange paint, a two-tone interior and, of course, a lowered suspension. Japanese and other import cars are slowly gaining ground in lowriding circles. While most Japanese cars are modified for performance, lowriding an import means adding lots of sound equipment and converting the interior from that of a basic commuting car to that of a luxury cruising machine. In addition to custom upholstery, Japanese lowriders also typically sport custom seats and dashes along with a couple of key features that can't be left out of any lowrider -- flashy wheels and an in-the-dirt stance.
For more information about lowriders and other related topics, follow the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- DeLoach, Dick. "Baraja de Oro." Lowrider Magazine. (Nov. 5, 2009)http://www.lowridermagazine.com/features/0210lrm_84_buick_regal/index.html
- Hoillc, Edgar. "Tight Grip: 1965 Buick Riviera." Lowrider Magazine. (Nov. 5, 2009) http://www.lowridermagazine.com/features/0809_lrmp_1965_buick_riviera_dallas_texas/index.html
- Lowrider Magazine. "1939 Chevrolet Master Deluxe: Precioso." (Nov. 5, 2009) http://www.lowridermagazine.com/features/0703_lrmp_1939_chevrolet_master_deluxe/index.html
- Lowrider Magazine. "1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo: Incognito." (Nov. 5, 2009) http://www.lowridermagazine.com/features/ 0705_lrmp_1987_chevy_monte_carlo_incognito/index.html
- Lowrider Magazine. "Lowrider History Book." Lowrider Magazine. (Nov. 5, 2009) http://www.lowridermagazine.com/historybook/0000lrm_history1/index.html
- Lowrider Magazine. "Pressure Cooker: 1966 Lincoln Continental." (Nov. 5, 2009) http://www.lowridermagazine.com/features/ 0706_lrmp_pressure_cooker_1966_lincoln_continental/index.html
- Pedder, Dustin. "Big Red." Lowrider Magazine. (Nov. 5, 2009)http://www.lowridermagazine.com/features/0512lrm_1959_chevy_impala_convertible/index.html
- Pedder, Dustin. "The Traveling Duke: Steve Gonzales 1950 Mercury Eight - Lowrider Image." Lowrider Magazine. (Nov. 5, 2009)http://www.lowridermagazine.com/features/0906_lrmp_1950_mercury_eight_steve_gonzales/index.html
- Robinson, Reinaldo. "Oldie 54 II - 1954 Chevy 3100 Truck." Lowrider Magazine. (Nov. 5, 2009)http://www.lowridermagazine.com/features/0605_lrm_1954_chevy_pick_up/index.html
- Vargas, Saul. "Camryder: 2007 Toyota Camry." Lowrider Magazine. (Nov. 5, 2009)http://www.lowridermagazine.com/features/0806_lrmp_2007_toyota_camry/index.html
- Web Rides TV. "1941 Ford Custom." (Nov. 5, 2009)http://www.webridestv.com/videos/gnrs---1941-ford-custom-42335
Car restoration is a great way to have your dream car, but there are work and costs involved. Read about car restoration in this article to get started.