1969 Chevrolet Nova
Sales of the 1969 Chevy Nova fell by half.
This one has a 307 V-8 and vinyl roof.
Chevrolet dropped the Chevy II portion of it compact car's name. Now know simply as the Nova, it repeated the two-door coupe and four-door sedan body choices from 1968. Basic Novas again came in a single trim level with a choice of three engines: a 90-horsepower four-cylinder, a 140-horsepower 230-cubic-inch six, or a 200-horsepower 307-cubic-inch V-8.
Not enough muscle? Try the 1969 Chevrolet Nova SS. This coupe was billed as "the turned-on version of Nova." It came with a 300-horsepower 350-cubic-inch Turbo-Fire V-8 and a hood with dummy air intakes, blackout grille, black body accents, front disc brakes, and 14-inch red-stripe tires. Optional was Chevy's storming 396-cubic-inch V-8 with up to 375 horsepower.
Multiple-leaf rear springs were installed on SS models, while other Novas kept their single-leaf configuration. Fake front fender louvers also were available, but not required. A total of 17,564 SS coupes were produced for 1968.
brochure touted a low-cost clutchless Torque-Drive transmission for Novas, but
the value-oriented model would need more than mere gadgetry to attract buyers.
Muscle cars were in full force, and midsize muscle cars were the rage. This hurt Nova's image as a sporty machine, a condition that contributed to sales falling by half, to some 106,200, of which 17,564 were SS models.
1969 Chevrolet Nova Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Nova|| 2,785-3,065|| $2,237-$2,434||106,200 (approx.)|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.