The 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle line included
this handsome Malibu wagon.
The 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle got a major restyling that included smooth contours, a broad new grille and bumper treatment, and curved side windows. A hardtop-styled Sport Sedan joined the Malibu series, while Sport Coupes flaunted a new roofline with a dramatically recessed, "tunneled" rear window.
Of the several 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle models, only cars with the 396-cubic-inch V-8 could be Super Sports this season, adopting the 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 designation.
SS 396 coupes and convertibles used Malibu bodies with reinforced frames and revised front suspension: higher-rate springs, recalibrated shocks, and thicker front stabilizer bar. They also had simulated hood scoops, red-stripe tires, and bright trim moldings. All SS transmissions were floor-shifted.
A total of 72,300 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 cars were built, versus 241,600 regular Malibus (which came in five body styles). The 396-cubic-inch V-8 could be ordered with 325 or 360 horsepower, but fewer than a hundred cars got a 375-horsepower version. "It isn't extravagant, imported, or fattening," explained one ad for the SS 396; it's "a machine for the guy who'd rather drive than fly."
The more-basic Chevelles continued in 300, 300 Deluxe, and Malibu trim. Available engines were a 327-cubic-inch V-8 instead of either of the sixes, or the mid-level option, a 220-horsepower 283-cubic-inch V-8. Judicious attention to the options list could add a tachometer, mag-style wheel covers, and sintered-metallic brakes.
1966 Chevrolet Chevelle and Malibu Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
|Chevelle 300||2,895-3,350||$2,156-$2,681||66,200 (approx.)|
|Chevelle Malibu||2,935-3,375||$2,352-$2,766||241,600 (approx.)|
|Chevelle Malibu SS||3,375-3,470||$2,776-$2,984||72,300|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Malibus: The Chevrolet Malibu nameplate didn't die with the 1983 model. Get the lowdown on the new-age Malibu that launched for 1997 and continues today.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.