1983 Chevrolet Malibu
The 1983 Chevrolet Malibu was the final model year
for the rear-wheel-drive Malibu. This Malibu Sport Sedan
was available with gas and diesel engines.
The 1983 Chevrolet Malibu drew down the curtain on the Malibu as Chevrolet's rear-wheel-drive midsize car, but the nameplate would return in the late 1990s on a new sort of Malibu.
The 1983 Chevrolet Malibu marked the sixth and final year of its design generation. It again came as a sedan and wagon. They looked the same as before, though Chevy no longer applied the "Classic" prefix to their names. Chevy also dropped a few standard features, including wheel covers and some exterior moldings.
Also gone was the 4.4-liter V-8, leaving the 5.0-liter version as the only optional gas V-8. Standard engine for the 1983 Chevrolet Malibu was again Chevy's 3.8-liter V-6 with 110 horsepower, though California cars, once again, got a Buick V-6 with similar specs.
With the 4.4-liter V-8 gone, the 150-horsepower 5.0-liter V-8 became optional on wagons and sedans; it was previously offered only on wagons. Continuing on the options list were the 4.3-liter V-6 diesel with 85 horsepower and the 5.7-liter V-8 diesel with 105.
In its farewell year, the Malibu was actually more popular than it was in 1982, selling just over 117,400 copies. That was only about 22,000 behind the new Celebrity, and 25,000 ahead of the beleaguered Citation.
It was almost surprising that this generation of the Malibu hung around as long as it did, what with the more-modern Chevrolet Celebrity debuting in 1982. But the Celebrity was not an instant hit, possibly because many folks still liked the simplicity and proven engineering of rear-drive cars -- not to mention the solid reputation the Malibu had gained.
They also apparently liked the Malibu name, which returned in due time as the 1997 Chevrolet Malibu.
The 1983 Chevrolet Malibu series included this wagon model.
1983 Chevrolet Malibu Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Malibus: The Chevrolet Malibu nameplate didn't die with the 1983 model. Get the lowdown on the new-age Malibu that launched for 1997 and continues today.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.