The 1978 Chevrolet Nova Custom, shown,
replaced the Concours as the top model.
The 1978 Chevrolet Nova got a restyled front end and a Nova Custom model took over as top-line duty, replacing the too-costly Nova Concours.
The Custom series had its own fine-mesh grille with built-in vertical parking lights, bright-accented headlights, triple-unit taillights, and hood molding.
Custom models lacked the stand-up hood ornament displayed by the Concours. Upholstery choices included all-vinyl or Edinburgh woven sport cloth/vinyl.
More basic versions of the 1978 Chevrolet Nova had a different, checkerboard grille texture, also inset with parking lights just inboard of the headlights.
The 1978 Chevrolet Nova was also available with Rally equipment, which included yet another front-end layout: a diamond-pattern grille with horizontal parking lights and black headlight bezels, plus triple band striping and color-keyed Rally wheels. All Nova drivers faced a new dual-spoke, soft vinyl-covered steering wheel.
Any 1978 Chevrolet Nova could have a 250-cubic-inch six-cylinder engine, a 145-horsepower 305-cubic-inch V-8, or a 170-horsepower 350-cubic-inch V-8. Law enforcement agencies in 48 states were driving Novas by now, as the sales brochure boasted.
Production dropped almost 100,000 for the model, to 288,000, making Nova the only Chevrolet series to show a sales decline for 1978. Sales of the Nova hatchback body style lagged well behind regular coupes and sedans, and base models handily outsold Customs.
1978 Chevrolet Nova Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Nova|| 3,132-3,443|| $3,702-$4,220||288,109|
Nova used several front-end styling themes for 1978.
This is the Custom model.
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.