1977 Chevrolet Nova
The Concours model accounted for
75,000 of 365,264 Novas Chevy sold for 1977.
Styling touches differed between the Concours and other Novas. The Concours had finer-mesh grille and sported a stylish stand-up hood ornament, newly designed wheel covers, and wider bright wheel-opening moldings.
"International in style, it is American in function," the sales brochure insisted of the Concours. It went on to note that Concours offered a "very special blending of classic style and good sense."
That last referenced Nova's sensible size. Novas themselves, the marketing materials said, were "not too small, not too big, not too expensive."
Three engines and four transmissions were available for every 1977 Chevrolet Nova, including Concours. Buyers could pick a 110-horsepower 250-cubic-inch inline six, 145-horsepower 305 two-barrel V-8, or 170-horsepower 350 four-barrel V-8.
Shifting was accomplished by three-speed (column or floor shift) and four-speed manuals or Turbo Hydra-Matic.
Novas might also be equipped with a heavy-duty suspension or the F41 sport suspension. A surprising number of police departments ordered Novas with either a 305- or 350-cubic-inch V-8 engine, following the lead of the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department, which had given the compacts an exhaustive evaluation.
1977 Chevrolet Nova Facts
||Weight range (lbs.)
||Price range (new)
The 1977 Chevrolet Nova sedan was
the quintessential mainstream American car.
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America's greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.