1966 Chevrolet Chevy II and Nova
The 1966 Chevrolet Chevy II and Nova
got crisp new styling. This is a Nova SS.
Highlights included a bold grille and semi-fastback roofline. "Humped" fenders in an angular rear end were reminiscent of larger 1966 Chevrolets, though the 1966 Chevrolet Chevy II and Nova had vertical taillights and single headlights.
The lineup again started with Chevy II 100 and Chevy II Nova 400 models. For just $159 more than a Nova 400, buyers could be the proud owner of a Nova Super Sport. Available only in Sport Coupe form, the Nova SS was top of the line.
The 1966 Chevrolet Nova SS was visually distinguished by wide rocker panels and a bright aluminum deck lid cove. It had bright SS emblems on the grille and in the ribbed rear panel, and Super Sport script on the quarter panels. Wheel covers were borrowed from the Chevrolet Malibu SS. Strato-bucket front seats were included, but a tachometer cost extra.
Any Chevy II engine except the four-cylinder could be coupled with the SS group of goodies, but the top dog was a new Turbo-Fire 327-cubic-inch V-8 delivering 350 horsepower. This engine was first seen in the Chevrolet Chevelle. A close-ratio four-speed manual transmission helped turn the normally mild Nova into a little beastie; Powerglide automatic was not available with this hottest engine.
Buyers of the 1966 Chevrolet Chevy II and Nova could also order a 275-horsepower version of the 327, a 195- or 220-horsepower 283-cubic-inch V-8, or an inline-six of 194 or 230 cubic inches.
The standard column-shift three-speed was now fully synchronized, allowing shifts into first gear even while rolling. Two wagons were offered, the upmarket one named Nova.
1966 Chevrolet Chevy II and Nova Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Chevy II 100|| 2,520-2,990|| $2,028-$2,536||47,000 (approx.)|
|Chevy II Nova||2,640-3,010||$2,245-$2,518||73,900 (approx.)|
|Chevy II Nova SS||2,740-2,870||$2,430-$2,535||23,000 (approx.)|
Chevy's 1966 compact wagon came in
Chevy II 100 trim and as this Nova model.
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.