1964 Chevrolet Chevy II and Nova
The 1964 Chevrolet Chevy II Nova 400
sedan was priced at $2,243.
"Despite its new vigor," read an ad for the 1964 Chevrolet Chevy II and Nova, "it's still a nice, quiet, sturdy, sensible, unpretentious car. With sharper teeth." Sharper than before, to be sure, but a V-8 Chevy II still required more than 11 seconds to reach 60 mph.
On the downside, the cool Chevrolet Nova convertible was dropped. So was the Nova's Super Sport option -- at least until midyear. Customer demand brought it back as a package for the Nova hardtop coupe.
Those 1964 Chevrolet Nova SS coupes wore thin body-peak moldings and silver-colored rear coves. Inside were front bucket seats and a console-mounted gearshift for a choice of Powerglide automatic transmission or, in V-8 versions, a four-speed manual. More than one-third of Sport Coupes had the SS option.
The mid-level Chevy II 300 series faded away for 1964. That left the Chevy II 100 in two- and four-door sedan and four-door wagon form, and the plusher Nova 400 in sedan, wagon, and hardtop coupe form.
The 90-horsepower 153-cubic-inch four-cylinder engine was available only in the value-priced Chevy II 100 series. The Chevy II Nova 400s came standard with a 120-horsepower 194-cubic-inch six.
1964 Chevrolet Chevy II and Nova Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Chevy II 100|| 2,455-2,840|| $2,011-$2,406||53,100 (approx.)|
|Chevy II Nova 400||2,560-2,860||$2,206-$2,503||102,900 (approx.)|
|Chevy II Nova SS, I6||2,675||$2,433||10,576|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.