1976 Chevrolet Nova
The 1976 Chevrolet Nova offered a vinyl roof
as an option on two-door models.
The 1976 Chevrolet Nova added a fancy Concours model to rival Ford's Granada and the Mercury Monarch, as well as top versions of the Dodge Dart and Plymouth Valiant.
Like regular versions of the 1976 Chevrolet Nova, the Concours came in three body styles: coupe, hatchback coupe, and four-door sedan.
Concours was the most luxurious compact car Chevrolet had ever offered. Rosewood vinyl decorated the upper door panels, instrument panel, and steering wheel. Concours models had an upright hood ornament, bumper guards, bright trim moldings, black bumper impact strips, and full wheel covers; more-basic Novas came with hubcaps.
The Concours coupe also was the first Chevrolet coupe with a fold-down front center armrest. A V-8 Concours coupe sold for $547 more than the comparable base Nova.
Engines for the 1976 Chevrolet Nova were a 105-horsepower inline-six, a 165-horsepower 350-cubic-inch V-8, or a 140-horse 305-cubic-inch V-8. A Cabriolet padded vinyl top was available for Nova coupes.
Modest revisions were made to the brakes, and also to fuel and exhaust system mountings. Dashboards contained new knobs.
The $187 Nova SS option group included a black grille with unique diamond-mesh pattern, Rally wheels, four-spoke steering wheel, and heavy-duty suspension.
After testing the 1976 Chevrolet Nova, the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department placed the largest order for compact police cars ever seen in the U.S.
1976 Chevrolet Nova Facts
||Weight range (lbs.)
||Price range (new)
The 1976 Chevrolet Nova SS dressed up
with special trim and decals.
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America's greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.