1973 Chevrolet Nova
The 1973 Chevrolet Nova got bigger bumpers
to meet new federal rules.
To go along with the bigger bumpers, stylists gave the 1973 Chevrolet Nova a new grille with a loosely patterned crosshatch insert and parking lights located inboard of the headlights.
Wheelbase was unchanged, but the car's total length grew a bit because of the new bumpers. The 1973 Chevrolet Novas also weighed about 100 pounds more than their 1972 counterparts.
An SS option remained available, but it was just a $123 dress-up package that included a blackout grille and Rally wheels. It could be ordered with any of the Nova engines. Interestingly, 35,542 SS packages were installed, making 1973 the best-selling year for that option group.
Engines started with the standard 100-horsepower 250-cubic-inch six. A 115-horsepower 307-cubic-inch V-8 was available, as were 145- and 175-horsepower 350-cubic-inch V-8s.
The hatcback was available only on the two-door model and included a large hinged panel that included the rear window and extending to just above the taillamps. A dressy Custom series joined the Nova line and a Custom hatchback listed for $2,701 with a six-cylinder engine. That was $173 more than the six-cylinder base-model two-door hatchback. Air conditioning added $381.
Every 1973 Chevrolet Nova got side guard door beams and additional sound insulation, as well as flow-through ventilation systems. Rear springs switched to multiple leaves. A sunroof could be installed, and fold-down rear seats were available.
1973 Chevrolet Nova Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Nova|| 3,274-3,033|| $2,377-$2,792||369,509|
The outline of the hatch opening on the
new Nova hatchback is visible in this view.
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.