1994 Chevrolet Cavalier
The mid-level RS series was offered as a
sedan, convertible, and this coupe.
The stripper VL was now offered only in coupe and sedan body styles, losing its wagon variant. Likewise the mid-range RS, though it continued to also offer a convertible.
Z24s once again came in coupe and convertible form. That left the wagon -- which now came in only one unnamed trim level, though its list of standard equipment mimicked the RS line.
Base engine was again a 2.2-liter four, but it gained 10 horsepower, now rated at 120. A five-speed manual was standard on most models, but some RS versions came standard with the available three-speed automatic.
Standard on Z24s and optional on RSs was a 3.1-liter V-6, still putting out 140 horsepower. It could again be mated to either a five-speed manual or the three-speed automatic.
Cavalier never did adopt air bags in this generation, relying instead on door-mounted safety belts that could be left buckled to automatically deploy when the doors were opened. It did have anti-lock brakes, however -- as standard equipment -- something most other small cars offered only as an expensive option if at all.
1994 Chevrolet Cavalier Facts
||Weight range (lbs.)
||Price range (new)
This mid-level Cavalier RS series
convertible was priced at $16,995.
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America's greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.