The 1983 Chevy Cavalier lineup included this affordable coupe.
The 1983 Chevrolet Cavalier included a number of changes for its sophomore model year, most notably the addition of a convertible variant. Accomplished with the help of ASC Incorporated, the new droptop unfolded just a year after Chrysler Corporation "reinvented" the convertible by chopping the roofs from its Chrysler LeBaron and Dodge 400.
In response to complaints of poor acceleration, the 2.0-liter four introduced in mid-1982 was made standard for 1983. Yet despite higher compression and a switch to throttle-body fuel injection (to replace a carburetor), horsepower dropped by four to 86, though torque stayed about the same. That engine could be backed by a four- or five-speed manual transmission or a three-speed automatic with lockup torque converter.
In an effort to hold prices down, Chevy stripped some of the Cavalier's standard equipment for 1983 and renamed some models. The no-frills Cadet was dropped, so the line started with the base coupe, sedan, and wagon, all of which listed for about $500 less than the previous year's Cadet.
Top-line CL versions for 1982 were replaced by CS models, which saw even bigger price cuts, averaging about $1,700. The convertible topped the line at $10,990.
Considering the drop in prices, sales didn't increase very much: from 195,000 in 1982 to about 218,500 in 1983 -- only 627 of which were convertibles.
1983 Chevrolet Cavalier Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Cavalier|| 2,374-2,486|| $5,888-$10,990||218,587|
This 3-door F-41 hatchback was one of
eight 1983 Chevy Cavalier models.
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.