The ritziest 1974 Chevrolet Monte Carlo was this Landau model.
Overall length grew by three inches. Most popular Monte of the year was the "S," which now served as the base model. The posh, vinyl-topped Landau also remained on the market, but those were the only two choices.
The Monte Carlo's base engine again developed 145 horsepower, while the top 454-cubic-inch V-8 stuck with 245 horses. A 180-horsepower rendition of Chevrolet's 400-cubic-inch V-8 also was available.
Manually operated swing-out Strato-bucket seats might be installed, as could a new power-operated sliding steel Skyroof, which cost $325. The radial-tuned suspension system earned some refinements.
"Its elegance is basic," the sales brochure explained. "From the ground up," Monte Carlo was "a car you can be proud of." A new bright-framed, color-keyed instrument cluster was installed. The Landau coupe added a vinyl half-roof along with body accent striping, sport mirrors, Turbine II wheels, and "discriminating" crests.
included electric door locks, power trunk opener, power windows, console,
Comfortilt steering wheel -- and a child safety seat named the "Love
The 1974 Monte Carlo Landau was
instantly recognizable by its vinyl roof.
1974 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Monte Carlo|| 3,926-3,928|| $3,885-$4,129||312,217|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Monte Carlos: The Chevrolet Monte Carlo continued in production through the 2007 model year. Learn about the modern history of this stylish Chevy coupe.