1979 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
The 1979 Monte Carlo sported a
cleaned-up grille and wraparound taillights.
The few changes to the 1979 Chevrolet Monte Carlo included a fine-patterned crosshatch grille, segmented parking lights, and wraparound taillights. As usual, color and trim selections were also different.
Landau versions of the 1979 Chevrolet Monte Carlo displayed a new canopy-style vinyl roof treatment, described as "an aristocratic arch of textured padded vinyl." Landaus had pinstriping and black rocker panels, as well as deluxe wheel covers and sport mirrors.
Performance might have been meager compared to certain Montes of
the past, but shoppers had four engines to choose from: a 94-horsepower 200-cubic-inch
V-6, 115-horsepower 231-cubic-inch V-6, 125-horsepower 267-cubic-inch V-8, and
the strongman of the quartet -- a 160-horsepower 305-cubic-inch V-8.
The 1979 Chevrolet Monte Carlos sold in California made do with two engine choices: a 231-cubic-inch (3.8-liter) V-6 or the 305 V-8. A floor-shifted three-speed was the standard transmission, but California-bound Montes came only with automatic.
Chevrolet promoted the 1979 as "a car that stands
apart," offering "a look, a feel, a personality all its own." Even
more tempting was an interior that "massages your spirit with easeful
Who could resist such an invitation? Monte Carlo coupes could be ordered with removable tinted-glass roof panels that fit into the trunk.
The 1979 Monte Carlo Landau Sport Coupe
gained a new vinyl-roof treatment.
1979 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Monte Carlo|| 3,039-3,169|| $5,333-$6,448||316,923|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Monte Carlos: The Chevrolet Monte Carlo continued in production through the 2007 model year. Learn about the modern history of this stylish Chevy coupe.