The 1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo was a debonair personal-luxury car.
See more pictures of Chevrolet Monte Carlo cars.
Discover how the Chevrolet Monte Carlo went
from the boulevard to the backstretch as it took its place among NASCAR’s winningest racecars ever. And learn how the Chevrolet Monte Carlo
sustained the tradition of the midsize American coupe into the 21st century.
The Chevrolet Monte Carlo debuted for 1970 as
competition for the Ford Thunderbird. It maintained its two-door configuration
throughout a run that, with just one interruption, lasted until the end of the
2007 model year.
Learn about a proud lineage that included the
early and rare Monte Carlo SS model with a 454-cubic-inch V-8, a timely downsizing for 1977, the revival of an SS model for 1983, and the last of the rear-drive models for 1989.
Again reflecting the tenor of its times, the 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo marked a transition from rear-wheel drive to front-wheel drive for Chevy's premier personal car. It was still a coupe, still had midsize dimensions, and still was a true Chevrolet.
The 1970 Monte Carlo came off a dedicated assembly line.
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Monte Carlos: The Chevrolet Monte Carlo continued in production through the 2007 model year. Learn about the modern history of this stylish Chevy coupe.