1971 Chevrolet Chevelle and Malibu
The 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle series included the popular Malibu model.
The car's restyled front end featured single headlights.
The 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle and Chevrolet Malibu family came in quite a variety of models: hardtop coupe or sedan, pillared sedan, station wagons, and a convertible.
The 1971 Chevrolet Malibu was counted as a series within the 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle model line, while Chevelle also offered four station wagons in Nomad, Greenbrier, Concours, and elegant Concours Estate trim.
The 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle and Chevrolet Malibu got fresh front-end styling that included large Power-Beam single-unit headlights, a reworked grille and bumper, and integral park/signal/marker lights. New dual round taillights were integral with the back bumper.
The 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 got a blacked-out variant of the new curved grille and a domed hood with lock pins. Its 454-cubic-inch V-8 engine could deliver either 365 or 425 horsepower depending on the buyer's pocketbook.
Performance-minded shoppers with thinner wallets could choose an SS 350 with a 245-horsepower 350-cubic-inch V-8 under the hood -- and the option of a 270-horsepower upgrade. Even the seemingly utilitarian El Camino car-pickup could be ordered with an SS option.
Other Chevelles might have a "396" (which actually measured 402 cubic inches) with 300 horsepower in place of the standard 250-cubic-inch six or 307-cubic-inch V-8.
Because SS models suffered heavy insurance surcharges, Chevrolet decided to issue a new "Heavy Chevy" at midyear. It looked like a muscle car, but was available with any V-8 engine except the 454, which was exclusive to SS models.
The 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS was the most desirable of the
1971 Chevelles, and eventually became a coveted collectible.
1968 Chevrolet Chevelle and Malibu Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
|Chevelle and Malibu||3,166-3,450||$2,677-$3,260||293,267|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Malibus: The Chevrolet Malibu nameplate didn't die with the 1983 model. Get the lowdown on the new-age Malibu that launched for 1997 and continues today.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.