Toyota has the distinction of earning two spots on the list of five crossover vehicles with the best fuel economy. The Toyota RAV4 with a four-cylinder engine and two-wheel-drive gets 22 miles per gallon (9.4 kilometers per liter) in the city, 28 miles per gallon (11.9 kilometers per liter) highway and 24 miles per gallon (10.2 kilometers per liter) combined. That's the same highway mileage that its hybrid Highlander sibling gets. (Of course, the hybrid does a little better around town.)
Like the Honda CR-V, the Toyota RAV4 has been around the block a few times -- it was launched a decade and a half ago. It too was considered a light-duty SUV until the crossover category caught on, which is where the RAV4 is most at home. Opting for the four-wheel-drive system only drops its EPA mileage rating by 1-mile per gallon (0.4-kilometer per liter), making it one of the more fuel-efficient vehicles with on-demand four-wheel-drive. The Toyota RAV4's price is in line with its competitors, at about $22,000 to start [source: Toyota.com].
For more information about crossover vehicles and other related topics, follow the links below.
- Top 10 Green Driving Tips
- 5 Alternative Fuel Ideas That Never Made It Out of the Lab
- 5 Ways Hybrid Battery Packs are Being Improved
- 5 Strangest Vehicles Ever Made
- How to Get Better Fuel Economy
- How Four-wheel Drive Works
- How the BMW X6 ActiveHybrid Works
- How the Ford Escape Hybrid Works
- How the Veritas RS III Hybrid Will Work
- What are the benefits of crossover vehicle design?
- What's the difference between a crossover and an SUV?
- AOL Autos Staff. "Best Selling Crossovers: March 2011." AOL Autos. April 24, 2011. (April 26, 2011) http://autos.aol.com/gallery/best-selling-cuvs/
- BMW Group. "Fun Has No Limits. The MINI Countryman." PressClub Global. July 12, 2010. (May 4, 2011) https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/p/pcgl/pressDetail.html?outputChannelId=6&id=T0082042EN&left_menu_item=node__2310
- BMW Group. "IIHS Names MINI Countryman as a '2011 Top Safety Pick' Winner." PressClub USA. March 7, 2011. (May 4, 2011) https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/p/us/pressDetail.html?outputChannelId=9&id=T0099196EN_US&left_menu_item=node__5528
- Honda Automobiles. "2011 Honda CR-V Serves Up SUV Versatility with Style and Refinement." Honda Media Newsroom. (May 4, 2011) http://www.hondanews.com/channels/honda-automobiles-cr-v/releases/2011-honda-cr-v-serves-up-suv-versatility-with-style-and-refinement
- Nissan. "Redesigned 2011 Nissan Rogue Crossover SUV Debuts at 23rd Annual International Z Car Convention." Nissan Official U.S. Media Newsroom. July 30, 2010. (May 4, 2011) http://www.nissannews.com/pressrelease/1815/130/redesigned-2011-nissan-rogue-crossover-suv-debuts-23rd
- Roy, Rex. "Crossover 101." AOL Autos. Aug. 13, 2010. (April 26, 2011) http://autos.aol.com/article/crossovers-101/
- Toyota USA Newsroom. "2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Product Information." Sept. 23, 2010. (May 4, 2011) http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2706
- Toyota USA Newsroom. "2011 Toyota RAV4 Offers New Extra Value Package." Sept. 3, 2010. (May 4, 2011) http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2064
- U.S. Department of Energy -- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. (April 26, 2011) http://fueleconomy.gov/
What are the best reasons to buy a crossover vehicle? Read about 5 reasons to buy a crossover vehicle at HowStuffWorks.