Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Car Safety Quiz
- 5 Crash Test Videos
- Top 5 Driving & Safety Videos
- How Airbags Work
- How Traffic Tickets Work
- How Self-parking Cars Work
- How Red-light Cameras Work
- Can a car really be death-proof?
- Have crash tests ever used live (or dead) human occupants?
- How does a laser speed gun work to measure a car's speed?
- ConsumerReports.org. "Electronic stability control to be standard by 2012." September 2006. (Nov. 10, 2009)http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/news/2006/nhtsa-proposal-to-make-esc-standard-on-all-cars-9-06/overview/nhtsa-proposal-to-make-esc-standard-on-all-cars-9-06.htm
- Dang, Jennifer N. "Preliminary Results Analyzing the Effectiveness of Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Systems." National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. September 2004. (Nov. 10, 2009)http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/regrev/evaluate/809790.html
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "ESC and how it helps drivers maintain control." (Nov. 10, 2009) http://www.iihs.org/ratings/esc/esc_explained.html
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "Q&As: Electronic Stability Control." October 2009. (Nov. 10, 2009) http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/esc.html
- Memmer, Scott. "Stability Control: Get Your Yaw-Yaws Out!" Edmunds.com. (Nov. 10, 2009) http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/45992/article.html
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. "Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Electronic Stability Control Systems; Controls and Displays." April 5, 2007. (Nov. 10, 2009) http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Rulemaking/Rules/Associated%20Files/ESC_FR_03_2007.pdf
- Rosenberg, Jeremy. "Electronic Stability Control." Cars.com. June 18, 2009. (Nov. 10, 2009)http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=safe&story=techStability&subject=safe_tech&referer=