Clean Engine Parts
If the gunk in the engine oil gets too bad, the parts of the engine can get gummed up. An engine flush removes the gunk, which keeps the parts running smoothly. That in turn can make the engine more efficient, bringing the power and fuel efficiency closer to what the car had when it left the showroom floor.
In very old cars, however, the engine flush might clean these piston rings, valves, and other parts a little too well. Sometimes, the gunk acts as spackle in non-metallic parts like rubber seals that have cracked with age. Cleaning out the gunk exposes those cracks, and the weakness of those parts becomes apparent.
For more information about engine flushing and other related topics, follow the links below.
- 5 Driving Tips to Prolong the Life of Your Engine
- 5 New Gas Engine Technologies
- Car Smarts: Engine Performance
- Car Smarts: Fuel Injections
- How Horsepower Works
- How Superchargers Work
- How Turbochargers Work
- How Camshafts Work
- Is anyone developing lifetime engine oil?
- Is premium gasoline really better for luxury vehicles?
- Amsoil.com. "AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush." (May 11, 2011)http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/flsh.aspx
- BG Products, Inc. "Oil Change Services." (May 11, 2011)http://www.bgprod.com/products/engineoil.html
- Brown, Scott. Manager, West Region, Chrysler Communications. E-mail correspondence on May 12, 2011.
- International Lubricants, Inc. "LubeGard Engine Flush with LXE Technology." (May 11, 2011)http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-182/LUBEGARD+Engine+Flush
- Martin, Chris. Honda Public Relations, American Honda Motor Co. E-mail correspondence on May 11, 2011.
- NBCLosAngeles.com. "Could This Damage Your Car?" Jan. 26, 2009. (May 11, 2011)http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/flushservices.html
- OilCanHenrys.com. "Engine Flush." (May 11, 2011)http://www.oilcanhenrys.com/services/engine_flush
- PepBoys.com. "Oil Change Packages." (May 11, 2011)http://www.pepboys.com/service/preventive_maintenance/oil_changes
Is it possible for something as simple as new motor mounts to increase engine response in your car or truck? Find out at HowStuffWorks.