The 1983 Chevrolet Monte Carlo was little changed
from 1982. Pictured is the base model, which was
available with gas and diesel V-6 and V-8 engines.
The 1983 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, like the mechanically similar Malibu, got only a slightly revised grille to mark this version as an 1983 model. But midyear would bring a whole new breed of Monte. As with Malibu, the small 4.4-liter V-8 engine option was deleted.
Once again, Chevy's 3.8-liter V-6 with 110 horsepower was standard in 49-state cars, while a similar Buick-built engine was used in California. Optional were a 150-horsepower 5.0-liter V-8 and a pair of diesels: a 4.3-liter V-6 with 85 horsepower and a 5.7-liter V-8 with 105 horsepower. Neither diesel proved very popular.
the spring of 1983, Chevy released the 1983 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS.
This was an effort to rekindle the midsize Chevy muscle car, and it did
a credible job of it, given the performance parameters of the early
The 1983 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS packed a high-performance 180-horsepower 5.0-liter V-8 fitted with high-lift cam and low-restriction dual exhaust. It boasted a smoother front fascia than other 1983 Chevrolet Monte Carlos, with integrated bumper and lower lip spoiler.
SS badging, a small rear spoiler, and stiffer suspension also were included in the 1983 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS. Available only in white or dark metallic blue, it was a real "blast from the past," with spirited acceleration the likes of which had not been seen in a midsize Chevy for a very long time.
1983 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Facts
||Weight range (lbs.)
||Price range (new)
The 1983 Monte Carlo SS Sport Coupe had impressive performance
courtesy of a 180-horsepower 5.0-liter V-8 and sport suspension.
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Monte Carlos: The Chevrolet Monte Carlo continued in production through the 2007 model year. Learn about the modern history of this stylish Chevy coupe.