A subtle facelift freshened up the
1980 Chevrolet Monte Carlo's front end.
Under the hood, it was a different story. Compared to 1979, there was a slight shuffling of engine displacements and horsepower ratings, with V-6s of 229 or 231 cubic inches, and V-8s of 267 or 305 cubic inches. Horsepower ranged from 110 to 155. But added for 1980 was a turbocharged version of Buick's 231-cubic-inch V-6 rated at 170 horsepower.
Unfortunately for performance buffs, the four-speed manual
transmission offered (but rarely ordered) for 1979 was dropped, making a
three-speed automatic the standard -- and only -- transmission.
Turbocharged engines typically don't make much power at low speeds, so the automatic transmission coupled with a tall 2.29:1 rear axle ratio meant that off-the-line punch wasn't a Turbo Monte's strong suit. Indeed, its 13.0-second 0-60 time was little if any better than with the 5.0-liter V-8 -- which cost $200 less.
Like any good personal-luxury coupe, the Monte Carlo offered a host of "personalizing" options: Custom Cloth or Vinyl upholstery, a bevy of sound systems (some with built-in CB radios), power windows/locks/seats, power trunk opener, power sunroof, and "Removable Glass Roof Panels," more commonly known as T-tops.
Along with most other Chevys, Monte Carlo prices were up sharply. In 1979, a base V-6 coupe retailed for $5,333; for 1980, it was up to $6,524. A Landau edition was also offered, which added a vinyl top, pin striping, deluxe wheel covers, and visor vanity mirrors. At $250 more than a base Monte, the Landau didn't sell as well.
But then Monte Carlos as a whole didn't sell very well. From 282,000 in 1979, sales dropped to only 126,000 for 1980. Increased prices were partly to blame, but so was the gas crisis that labeled most traditional large American cars as "guzzlers."
The 1980 Monte Carlo Sport Coupe
came standard with a 3.8-liter V-6.
1980 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Monte Carlo|| 3,104-3,219|| $6,524-$6,852||148,842|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Monte Carlos: The Chevrolet Monte Carlo continued in production through the 2007 model year. Learn about the modern history of this stylish Chevy coupe.