The 1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo was Chevy's first "personal-luxury" model.
Long-hood/short-deck styling was sleek and well proportioned despite the car's ample 205-inch length. Monte Carlo's near-classic profile was enhanced by rear fender skirts, and its six-foot hood was the longest ever installed on a Chevrolet.
Plush interiors held an instrument panel with round gauges and simulated burled elm. Drivers faced more than 25 "skillfully grouped" lights, switches, and buttons.
Monte Carlos were offered only with V-8 power: a 250-horsepower 350-cubic-inch engine was standard, with the option of a 300-horsepower 350, a 265-horsepower Turbo-Fire 400 or, for just $111, a 330-horsepower 400.
Every 1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo had power front disc brakes, concealed wipers, low-profile 15-inch tires, full wheel covers, Astro Ventilation, and an electric clock. Like most Chevrolets, they could be impressively personalized by scrutinizing the options list, perhaps starting with a vinyl top in five available colors.
Performance buffs weren't forgotten in the rush toward luxury. The Monte Carlo SS came with a load of tempting gear, including a new, rather aggressive 360-horsepower 454-cubic-inch V-8 with dual exhaust system, automatic level control, G70 wide-oval tires on 15x7 wheels, and discreet identification.
Furthermore, the potent 450-horsepower LS-6 version of the 454 was optional, making an SS -- as the brochure stated -- "a very deceptive car."
"Solid gentlemanly comfort without bombast," one ad
promised Monte Carlo buyers. The sales brochure called it "a car without
pretense" that "pampers you without overdoing it."
Starting at $3,123, it was quite a handsome and tempting machine. In its opening season, Monte Carlos outsold Thunderbirds by a mile. Of 130,657 Montes built, 3823 had the SS 454 package.
The 1970 Monte Carlo was a combination of luxury and performance.
1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Facts
| Model|| Weight (lbs.)|| Price (new)|| Number built|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Monte Carlos: The Chevrolet Monte Carlo continued in production through the 2007 model year. Learn about the modern history of this stylish Chevy coupe.