1967 Chevrolet Chevelle and Malibu
The 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle looked longer and leaner
thanks to some styling tweaks. The series included
this Chevelle SS 396 convertible model.
The 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle and Chevrolet Malibu models got some styling tweaks that resulted in a longer, more straightforward appearance. Large taillamps went into a new rear end with standard backup lights. Otherwise, visible change was modest.
"What you'll see inside," claimed the sales brochure for the 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle and Chevrolet Malibu, "will probably bring on a severe compulsion to go driving." Front disc brakes were available on all models, and a new dual master cylinder brake system incorporated a warning light.
Super Sport versions had an exclusive grille design, bright wheel well moldings, gray-toned rocker moldings, and a domed hood with dummy air intake slots. The 375-horsepower 396-cubic-inch V-8 officially departed from the options list, but 612 were built anyway.
The step-up engine in the Super Sport 396 dropped from 360 to 350 horsepower, while the base V-8 stuck with 325 horsepower. About 63,000 Super Sports were produced.
"Quick-Size" SS 396 Sport Coupes and convertibles were promoted as "the car for the Driving Man." Malibus added family-focused luxury to the mix and the 300 series emphasized value.
Choosing a Chevelle wasn't so easy. In addition to engines, buyers selected from no less than six transmissions: two three-speeds, four-speed, overdrive, and two automatics. Options included Superlift air shock absorbers, Strato-ease headrests, and special instrumentation.
Although Chevy's big news for 1967 was the introduction of the Camaro, Chevelle offered a more traditional sort of sportiness. Models in-cluded the SS convertible and SS 2-door Hardtop. The manual-shift feature of the Turbo Hydra-Matic transmission was touted in advertising.
The 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle line
included this SS 396 two-door hardtop.
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Malibus: The Chevrolet Malibu nameplate didn't die with the 1983 model. Get the lowdown on the new-age Malibu that launched for 1997 and continues today.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.