The 1982 Chevrolet Malibu, including this sedan,
featured a new front end with a crosshatch
grille pattern and quad rectangular headlights.
The 1982 Chevrolet Malibu became little more than a blip on Chevy's production charts during 1982, with the new front-drive Celebrity undoubtedly stealing some of its sales.
Model choices for the 1982 Chevrolet Malibu were trimmed from fourteen to four, which didn't help either. The base Malibus and all the coupes were dropped. That left just Classic sedans and wagons with either V-6 or V-8 power.
Nevertheless, the 1982 Chevrolet Malibu sported a new Chevrolet Caprice-like frontal appearance, with a crosshatch grille flanked by quad rectangular headlights.
Bigger news was under the hood in the form of not one but two diesel engine options. The 85-horsepower 4.3-liter (262-cubic-inch) V-6 diesel was also available in the Celebrity. The 105-horsepower 5.7-liter (350-cubic-inch) V-8 was also offered in Chevy's full-size cars.
Though mileage with the diesels was commendable, they were expensive options (the V-8 added $825 to the sedan's $8,137 base price), and both would eventually amass dismal repair records.
Gasoline-engine choices were unchanged, except Chevy's 229-cubic-inch (3.8-liter) V-6 was now standard in California-bound carsl, replacing Buick's 231-cubic-inch V-6 in the Golden State.
The 1982 Chevrolet Malibu series included
only sedans and this wagon.
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Malibus: The Chevrolet Malibu nameplate didn't die with the 1983 model. Get the lowdown on the new-age Malibu that launched for 1997 and continues today.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.