1979 Chevrolet Malibu
Although changes to the 1979 Chevrolet Malibu were minor,
sales of the car, including this base sedan model, jumped nicely.
The 1979 Chevrolet Malibu got minimal changes following its debut as a redesigned "new-size" model in 1978. Alternations to the 1979 Chevrolet Malibu amounting to little more than a new divided grille and reworked taillights.
However, a "small-block" 267-cubic-inch (4.4-liter) V-8 joined the options list and slotted between the standard 3.3-liter V-6 and the optional 5.0-liter four-barrel V-8. The 1979 Chevrolet Malibu cars sold in California were subject to different exhaust-emissions regulations and offered a 3.8-liter V-6 or the four-barrel V-8.
A 350-cubic-inch (5.7-liter) V-8, developing 170 horsepower was avaialbe only in 1979 Chevrolet Malibu wagaons and cost $465 extra. Both three- and four-speed manual transmissions had floor shifters.
The 1979 Chevrolet Malibu offered Malibu and Malibu Classic models in coupe, sedan, and station wagon form. The Classic line also included a Landau coupe. Sedans and wagons had fixed rear-door windows with swing-out vents for draft-free ventilation.
Malibu Classics got additional bright window trim and vinyl-clad body moldings. Options included a vinyl roof, special gauges, wire wheel covers, auxiliary lighting, powered rear vent windows, and a Power Skyroof.
Chevrolet literature boasted of such technical details as double-panel doors, a full-perimeter frame, and coil springs all around. Production of the 1979 Chevrolet Malibu grew to 412,147, up from 358,636 of the 1978 models.
The 1979 Chevrolet Malibu saw changes to its grille and taillights.
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Malibus: The Chevrolet Malibu nameplate didn't die with the 1983 model. Get the lowdown on the new-age Malibu that launched for 1997 and continues today.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.