1977 Chevrolet Chevelle and Malibu
The 1977 Chevrolet Chevelle and Malibu series included this base
Malibu coupe featuring single headlights and a crosshatch grille.
The 1977 Chevrolet Chevelle and Malibu series was billed as "America's smart money car," in reference to their friendly prices and big-on-the inside, small-on-the-outside dimensions.
The 1977 Chevrolet Chevelle and Malibu series wore new grilles but had fewer engine selections, though the engines that remained gained a few horses. The lineup consisted of Malibu and Malibu Classic models in coupe, sedan, and station wagon body styles. Estate Wagons and the Laguna Type S-3 were gone, though Chevrolet continued to issue Chevelle-based El Camino car-pickups.
In standard form, Chevelles had a 250-cubic-inch six-cylinder engine or a 145-horsepower, 305-cubic-inch V-8. The sole option beyond that was a 170-horsepower, four-barrel 350-cubic-inch V-8 (this engine was standard in the Malibu Classic station wagon). No more 400-cubic-inch V-8s were available.
Malibu Classics switched to a vertical grille pattern and six-section taillights but kept their twin stacked headlights and stand-up hood ornament. Regular Malibu grilles changed little. Classics had a luxurious cloth/vinyl split-bench front seat, color-keyed steering wheel, and woodgrain-accented instrument panel.
Malibu options included a $46 Exterior Decor group, $54 tinted glass, and $33 full wheel covers. A total of 37,215 Malibu Classic Landau coupes were produced, as opposed to 73,739 regular Classic coupes and 28,793 base coupes. In four-door sedan form, too, the Malibu Classics outsold base models by a substantial margin.
The 1977 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu base coupe included optional
whitewall tires and full wheel covers.
||Weight range (lbs.)
||Price range (new)
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Malibus: The Chevrolet Malibu nameplate didn't die with the 1983 model. Get the lowdown on the new-age Malibu that launched for 1997 and continues today.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.