The 1976 Chevrolet Chevelle Laguna Type S-3 shows
the special grillework, sloped nose, and
louvered quarter windows exclusive to that model.
The 1976 Chevrolet Chevelle and Chevrolet Malibu line was the last to feature the Laguna Type S-3.
In its third and final season as part of the Chevrolet Chevelle and Chevrolet Malibu line, the 1976 Laguna Type S-3 was little changed. It again featured quarter-window louvers and a sloped, body-color urethane front end. Lagunas shared their round-gauge instrument panel with the Chevrolet Monte Carlo, and could be ordred with a four-spoke sport steering wheel as well as swivel front bucket seats and a center console.
Lesser 1976 Chevrolet Chevelle, Chevrolet Malibus, and Malibu Classics made do with a more conventional dashboard and a linear-readout speedometer.
Aero styling had helped make the Laguna popular with NASCAR drivers, but regular buyers failed to clamor for the sophisticated coupes. Tough good looks weren't enough to lure muscle car prospects into showrooms after V-8 engines had lost their vigor. Production of the Laguna edged up to 9,100 cars as the base price leaped to $4,621.
Midsize cars in general, on the other hand, were selling strongly, and Chevelles earned a billing as "a size whose time has come." Malibu Classics adopted a diamond-pattern grille and stacked headlights, while regular Malibus kept a single-light setup.
Three V-8s were available: a 305-cubic-inch version rated at 140 horsepower, a 165-horsepower 350-cubic-inch, and a 400-cubic-inch engine that developed 175 horses. The 454-cubic-inch V-8 was limited to full-size cars. Options included an Econominder gauge package, affirming once again that the age of muscle was long gone.
The 1976 Chevrolet Chevelle line included the
Chevelle Malibu Classic. The car's stacked quad headlights and
crosshatched grille contributed to its formal look.
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
|Malibu and Laguna||3,650-3,978||$3,636-$4,640||268,522|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Malibus: The Chevrolet Malibu nameplate didn't die with the 1983 model. Get the lowdown on the new-age Malibu that launched for 1997 and continues today.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.