1975 Chevrolet Chevelle and Malibu
New styling touches marked the 1975 Chevrolet Chevelle line.
This Malibu Classic coupe featured opera windows,
standup hood ornament, and lots of chrome trim.
The 1975 Chevrolet Chevelle lineup consisted entirely of Chevrolet Malibu-badged models, and all were marked by fresh front and rear styling.
A vertical grid-patterned grille and new bright trim around the headlights were highlights. Rectangular taillights sat flush with the body surface, connected by a brushed chrome panel.
Malibu Classic coupes had distinctive opera windows. Brochures said their interiors were "comfortable, but not opulent...stylish, but not gaudy," with instrument panels decorated in simulated wood. Landau coupes came with a vinyl roof, full wheel covers, whitewall tires, color-keyed body striping, and dual sport mirrors.
Engines for the 1975 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu lineup ranged from the standard 250-cubic-inch six and 350-cubic-inch V-8 to V-8 options of 400- and 454-cubic-inch size, the last with a 235-horsepower rating. Variable-ratio power steering now was standard with V-8 models, and all 1975 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu models rode steel-belted radial tires.
A new "Chevrolet Efficiency System" was supposed to make cars run more economically. And speedometers were now calibrated in both miles per hour and kilometers per hour.
Following its debut as a 1974 model, the sporty Laguna Type S-3 left the lineup briefly, then reappeared in January 1975. This time, it wore a rakishly slanted, urethane-covered aero-style nose and louvered opera windows, and could be ordered with a vinyl half-roof. An available Econominder package included a fuel economy gauge.
Virtually every model in the 1975 Chevrolet Chevelle line
was marketed under the Malibu badge
to take advantage of the popular name.
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Malibus: The Chevrolet Malibu nameplate didn't die with the 1983 model. Get the lowdown on the new-age Malibu that launched for 1997 and continues today.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.