1974 Chevrolet Chevelle and Malibu
The 1974 Chevrolet Chevelle series included this
Laguna Type S-3 model, which featured opera windows,
swivel bucket seats, and two-toning.
The 1974 Chevrolet Chevelle and Chevrolet Malibu series saw some lineup changes. The hallowed Chevelle Super Sport was finally dropped, but a new Laguna Type S-3 sport/luxury coupe served as the SS replacement.
The Laguna name had debuted on the 1973 Chevrolet Chevelle coupe and sedan, but the stylish 1974 Chevrolet Chevelle Laguna Type S-3c ame only as a Colonnade coupe. Lagunas featured a "soft" urethane front end that resisted cracks, dents, and scratches, and was supported by hydraulic cylinders.
Front occupants rode in swivel bucket seats, and the driver faced a six-dial instrument cluster. Narrow opera windows could be covered with horizontal ribs for a few dollars extra. Production of the Laguna S-3 totaled 15,792 cars, with prices starting at $3,723 -- but with plenty of options to send the bottom line past $5,000.
Except for the Laguna, all 1974 Chevrolet Chevelles -- coupe, sedan, and station wagon -- were known as Malibus. A new upscale line was named Malibu Classic and was offered in those three body styles. Classics had classier interiors, extra body trim, and a stand-up hood ornament above a special grille.
Base engine was a 250-cubic-inch six, but Chevelles might have any of four V-8s: 145-horsepower 350-cubic-inch, 160-horsepower 350 (with four-barrel carburetion), 180-horsepower 400, or the big-block 454 rated at 235 horses.
All Lagunas had V-8 engines, as well as firmer shocks/springs, a front stabilizer bar, and fat HR70x15 tires on Rally wheels.
The 1974 Chevrolet Chevelle Laguna Type S-3
combined sportiness and luxury.
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- All Chevrolet Malibus: The Chevrolet Malibu nameplate didn't die with the 1983 model. Get the lowdown on the new-age Malibu that launched for 1997 and continues today.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.