BMW, the developer and so far frontrunner on this technology, hasn't yet said when laser-powered headlights will be a regular option on its production cars and SUVs.
But the company has said it plans to turn the i8 Concept into a production vehicle. We'll have to wait and see how many of its innovative features -- including laser beam-powered headlights -- survive to make it to the car that hits the dealerships. And given the "arms-race" nature of the auto business, it's probably a safe bet that other manufacturers are already trying to figure out how to produce their own laser-augmented lighting systems.
For lots more information on laser-powered headlights and other cutting-edge car tech, click to the next page.
More Great Links
- Bmw-i.com. "BMW i8 Concept." (Oct. 16, 2011) http://www.bmw-i.com/en_ww/bmw-i8/
- Cesa, Dante. "BMW developing laser headlights, officially over LEDs." Engadget.com. Sept. 6, 2011. (Oct. 15, 2011) http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/06/bmw-developing-laser-headlights-officially-over-leds/
- Dillow, Clay. "Realizing Bondesque Visions, BMW is Mounting Lasers in Its Headlights." Popular Science (popsci.com) Sept. 6, 2011. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2011-09/realizing-bond-visions-bmw-mounting-lasers-its-headlights
- Evans, Scott. "BMW's Laser Headlights â€“ BMW Shows Us How its Freakin' Laser Light Show Works." Motor Trend. Oct. 14, 2011. (Oct. 19, 2011) http://wot.motortrend.com/bmw-shows-us-how-its-laser-headlights-and-dynamic-lightspot-work-126103.html
- Leavitt, Lydia. "Audi announces A2 electric concept car, uses lasers to ensure safety of future humans." Engadget.com. Sept. 2, 2011. (Oct. 15, 2011) http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/02/audi-announces-a2-electric-concept-car-uses-lasers-to-ensure-sa/
- Nishimoto, Alex. "Bright Idea? BMW Develops Laser Headlights for i8 Concept, Future Models." Motor Trend. Sept. 2, 2011. (Oct. 18, 2011) http://wot.motortrend.com/bright-idea-bmw-develops-laser-headlights-for-i8-concept-future-models-114051.html
- Woodyard, Chris. "BMW tests '1,000 times brighter' laser headlights." USA Today. Sept. 5, 2011. (Oct. 20, 2011) http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/09/bmw-tests-laser-headlights----1000-times-brighter/1