1989 Chevrolet Cavalier
The 1989 Cavalier Z24 looked good in coupe form
and even better as a Z24 convertible.
The 1989 Chevrolet Cavalier saw several changes as the model soldiered into its eighth season.
Cavalier had already received a styling makeover (it's biggest since being introduced in 1982) for 1988. New features for the 1989 Cavalier included a self-aligning steering wheel designed to reduce injuries in a collision by bending to conform to the driver's chest. In another safety-oriented move, rear shoulder belts became standard on all models.
Z24s gained gas-pressurized shocks and, on coupe versions, a split folding rear seatback -- which was optional on lesser models. Dropped as separate models were the RS coupe and sedan, the equipment they added being grouped into an RS options package that could be ordered on the base coupes, sedans, and wagons.
A stripper coupe, called VL (Value Leader), anchored the line, while the sporty Z24 returned in coupe and convertible guise. Powertrain choices remained the same as before, though the 2.8-liter V-6 that was standard in the Z24 and optional in the Cavalier wagon gained five horsepower to 130.
Both the 130 horsepower and the standard 90-horsepower 2.0-liter four could be paired with either a five-speed manual transmission or three-speed automatic.
1989 Chevrolet Cavalier Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Cavalier|| 2,418-2,729|| $7,375-$16,615||376,626|
Brisk V-6 performance remained a
commendable positive point of the Z24.
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.