1987 Cavalier models like this RS convertible
had lighter, more sophisticated engines.
The 1987 Chevrolet Cavalier featured several powertrain revisions as the model entered its fifth season, but little else was new.
Changes to the base 2.0-liter four-cylinder earned it a Generation II label. Modifications included lighter pistons, an aluminum head, and GM's Computer Controlled Coil Ignition, resulting in a two horsepower increase to 90.
The 2.8-liter V-6, made optional in 1986, gained similar enhancements, which boosted horsepower from 120 to 130. The changes also trimmed the installed weight by about 35 pounds. Standard transmission with the four-cylinder engine remained a four-speed manual, with a five-speed manual and three-speed automatic optional.
But the V-6 now offered a five-speed as well -- a new Getrag-designed manual that could cope with the V-6's torque. As before, a three-speed automatic was also available with the V-6.
With four body styles (coupe, sedan, wagon, and convertible) available in up to three trim levels (base, RS, and Z24), Cavalier could boast of offering 13 different models for 1987 -- the most in all of autodom. Yet production dipped significantly, from 432,000 to just over 346,000, bumping Cavalier out of first place in the sales standings.
1987 Chevrolet Cavalier Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Cavalier|| 2,300-2,519|| $7,255-$14,106||346,254|
The instrument panel in this Cavalier RS wagon
sited major controls at the driver’s fingertips.
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America’s greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.