1984 Chevrolet Cavalier
The Chevrolet Cavalier convertible, previously configured by
ASC Incorporated, was a full factory-assembled production model for 1984.
Sedans and wagons now came in base and flashier CS trim. Convertibles, which were released late in the 1983 model year in limited quantities and color choices, were in full-scale production and available in eight different hues.
Sole powerplant on Cavaliers was still the throttle-body-injected 2.0-liter four, rated at 86-horsepower, down somewhat from 1983. Four- and five-speed manual transmissions were offered, as well as a three-speed automatic.
Prices rose a bit this year, and Cavaliers were criticized for being rather expensive once optioned to the level that most buyers wanted them. The cheapest model, the base four-door sedan, now listed at $6,222, and the convertible started at a whopping $11,299.
Yet sales more than doubled from the previous year, reaching an impressive 462,611 units -- making Cavalier the new number-one seller not only at Chevrolet but in the entire United States.
1984 Chevrolet Cavalier Facts
||Weight range (lbs.)
||Price range (new)
"Type 10" designation was applied to 1984 mid-level
Cavalier notchbacks (shown here) and coupes.
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.
- How Chevrolet Works: Get the inside story of one of America's greatest automotive marques in this lavishly illustrated history of Chevrolet, beginning with its founding in 1911.