More than half of the world's population lives in urban areas, according to the World Bank Group. Urban areas are famously congested with traffic, whether that's Los Angeles or Shanghai or Paris — and it's getting worse. Many cities are banning traffic from their urban centers, and some are planning to ban combustion engines entirely within the next two decades. To get around, city dwellers are using public transportation plus carpooling, ride sharing, car sharing, bike sharing, scooter sharing and plain old walking to get around.
People who live in cities might consider whether they need a car at all. A bus pass and an app for Uber or Lyft will get you pretty far, as will a membership in a car sharing service like Car2Go or Zipcar. Not having a car means not paying extra for a space in your building's garage or having to fight to park at the curb. No maintenance, no insurance, no stopping for gas. Remember, hybrids do require gasoline to run, just less of it than a conventional car. And you can't be pulled over and ticketed for texting while driving if you're riding the bus.
Last editorial update on Dec 6, 2018 02:14:01 pm.
Author's Note: 5 Reasons Not to Buy a Hybrid
Hybrids were strange birds in 1999 when the Honda Insight first came to market, followed quickly by the Toyota Prius. The economic and fuel crisis that hit in 2008 brought down gas-guzzlers like the Humvee and elevated hybrid reputations — and prices. Now hybrids are nearly old hat as PHEVs and EVs come online in greater numbers and styles. But hybrids aren't done yet. The technology has proven itself to be so delightfully boring and consistent that it will be hard to not buy a hybrid vehicle in the future. Most manufacturers are planning on their basic powertrains being hybrids in the next few years, with PHEV and EV options.
- Appel, Tom. "Zap! Xebra: The EV No One Needs to Know About." ConsumerGuide.com. (Oct. 29, 2018) https://blog.consumerguide.com/zap-xebra-the-ev-no-one-needs-to-know-about/
- Branman, Miles. "Toyota's Prius Hybrid Features a Towing Package for the First Time Ever." DigitalTrends.com. (Nov. 2, 2018) https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/toyota-2016-prius-hybrid-towing-capability/
- Chevrolet. (Aug. 21, 2009) http://www.chevrolet.com/
- Dulin, Jon. "Are Hybrid Cars Worth It? The Answer May Surprise You." (Oct. 29, 2018) https://www.moneysmartguides.com/are-hybrid-cars-worth-the-price
- Ford. (Aug. 21, 2009) http://www.fordvehicles.com/
- FuelEconomy.gov. "New Energy Tax Credit for Hybrids." May 5, 2009. (Aug. 21, 2009) http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_hybrid.shtml
- Hanson, Brandon U. "Is a Hybrid Worth It?" OmniNerd.com. Nov. 11, 2005 (Aug. 18, 2009) http://www.omninerd.com/articles/Is_a_Hybrid_Worth_It
- Honda (Aug. 21, 2009) http://automobiles.honda.com/
- HybridCars.com "Reasons Not to Buy a Hybrid." March 23, 2006. (Aug. 18, 2009) http://www.hybridcars.com/decision/reasons-not-to-buy-a-hybrid.html
- InTech RV. http://www.intechrv.com/. (Nov. 2, 2018)
- Padgett, Marty. "Seven Great Reasons to Buy a Hybrid -- and Six Bad Ones." TheCarConnection.com. Aug. 19, 2008. (Aug. 18, 2009) http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1015967_seven-great-reasons-to-buy-a-hybrid-and-six-bad-ones
- Ransom, Kevin. "Reasons to buy a hybrid -- or not." CNN.com. Jan. 28, 2008. (Aug. 18, 2009) http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/01/28/buy.hybrid/index.html#cnnSTCText
- Robinson, Aaron. "Out of Africa: Where Electric-Vehicle Batteries Come From, Part II." CarAndDriver.com. November 2010. (April 12, 2012) http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/aaron-robinson-out-of-africa-where-electric-vehicle-batteries-come-from-part-ii
- Scientific American. "The Coal Truth: Will the Coming Generation of Electric Cars Just Be Coal Burners, Once Removed?" ScientificAmerican.com. May 4, 2010. (April 13, 2012) http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=earth-talk-the-coal-truth
- Silke Carty, Sharon. "Hybrids recoup higher cost in less time." USA Today. May 12, 2008. (Aug. 21, 2009) http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/environment/2008-05-11-hybrids-gas-prices_N.htm
- Straubel, JB. "Roadster Efficiency and Range." Tesla blog. (Oct. 29, 2018) https://www.tesla.com/blog/roadster-efficiency-and-range
- U.S. News & World Report. Prices from U.S. News & World Report (Oct. 29, 2018) https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/hybrids
Is an all-electric car a bad investment? Keep reading to learn about electric cars and if an all-electric car is a bad investment.