Last, but certainly not least, is the famed Ford Mustang. Take everything you knew about Mustang fuel-efficiency and throw it out the window. The Mustang squeezes 305-horsepower out its V-6 engine, which allows it to go from 0 to 60 in just 5.8 seconds. But if you think this is going to hurt the Mustang's fuel economy, think again. The city mileage comes in at 19 miles per gallon (8.1 kilometers per liter) and the highway mileage goes all the way up to 31 miles per gallon (13.2 kilometers per liter). With horsepower and gas mileage numbers like that, the Mustang shows you can have brains and brawn at the same time.
Author's Note: 10 Surprisingly Fuel Efficient Sports Cars
As I researched this list, some of the fuel-efficient sports cars I found surprised even me. Car companies have thrown themselves fully into providing fuel-efficient models, while still delivering the speed and power that some consumers continue to crave. Could cars be even more fuel-efficient if we reduced their power or took off a few unnecessary options? Of course they could. But consumers want power, luxury and efficiency -- which drives auto designers and engineers to deliver the best of all worlds.
- Archer, Jeffrey. "Top 6 Sports Cars That Are Good on Gas." Autotrader.com. (Aug. 23, 2012) http://www.autotrader.com/research/article/car-news/170046/top-6-sports-cars-that-are-good-on-gas.jsp
- Gorzelany, Jim. "The Fastest and Most Fuel-Frugal Sports Cars." Forbes.com. May 15, 2012. (Aug. 23, 2012) http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2012/05/15/the-fastest-and-most-fuel-frugal-sports-cars/
- Lotuscars.com. "Lotus Elise." (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.lotuscars.com/gb/our-cars/current-range/elise-16
- Mazdausa.com. "Mazda3 Speed at a Glance." (Aug. 24, 2012) http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsSpecs&vehicleCode=MS3
- Mercedes-Benz. "SLK250 Performance and Handling." (Aug. 23, 2012) http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/build/class-SLK/model-SLK250#performance
- Scion.com. "FR-S Specifications." (Aug. 24, 2012) http://www.scion.com/cars/FR-S/specs/
- Seitz, Dan. "3 Cars That Are Surprisingly Green." Safeauto.com. (Aug. 22, 2012) http://www.safeauto.com/Blog/post/2012/04/11/3-Cars-That-Are-Surprisingly-Green.aspx
Does stop-start technology really help with fuel economy? HowStuffWorks talked to experts to find out.