1982 Chevrolet Citation
New colors and a horizontal grille
gave variety into the 1982 Citation's appearance.
The 1982 Chevrolet Citation received a number of modest changes for its third year on the market. Foremost among them was a switch from carburetion to throttle-body fuel injection on the base 2.5-liter (151-cubic-inch) four.
Chevy claimed that the change not only improved cold starting but also added about seven percent to the power rating, now 90 horsepower, up from 84. In an effort to improve fuel economy, the optional three-speed automatic transmission got a lockup torque converter, and all models rode on low-rolling-resistance tires.
Body style offerings initially remained the same as before -- three-door and five-door hatchbacks -- but the two-door coupe that was in the 1980 lineup and dropped for 1981 made a comeback in mid-1982. The two V-6 engines carried over, though the "lesser" of the pair gained a couple of horsepower, to 112.
Prices were up by about $500, though Citations
actually cost quite a bit less than the new -- and smaller -- Cavalier. But
sales took a nosedive, largely due to the X-cars' growing reputation for poor
quality that had already resulted in several recalls -- and its problems
weren't over yet.
The Citation five-door hatchback was the most popular
body style for 1982.
1982 Chevrolet Citation Facts
| Model|| Weight range (lbs.)|| Price range (new)|| Number built|
| Citation|| 2,442-2,409|| $6,297-$7,024||165,557|
For more picture-packed articles about Chevys and other great cars, see:
- Classic Cars: Learn about more than 400 of the world's finest classic and collectible automobiles.
- Muscle Cars: Look back at tire-smoking Chevys and scores of other machines from the golden age of American high performance.
- Sports Cars: Discover the pleasure of sports motoring at its purest in these captivating articles on the best sports cars from around the world.
- Consumer Guide Automotive: Here's your source for news, reviews, prices, fuel-economy and safety information on today's cars, minivans, SUVs, and pickups.
- Consumer Guide Used Car Search: In the market for a used Chevy or virtually any other pre-owned vehicle? Check out these reports, which include safety recalls and trouble spots.