Nearly all the 1955 Corvettes packed Chevy's brilliant new small-block V-8, signaled by an exaggerated "V" in the bodyside namescript. A newly optional three-speed manual transmission also helped make that year's Corvette a much more exciting performer. Here are the specifications for the 1955
Only 700 Corvettes were built for 1955.
| Vehicle Specifications||Convertible |
| Length, inches||167.0|
| Width, inches||72.2 |
| Track, inches||front: 57.0 rear: 59.0|
| Height, inches||51.3 |
| Curb Weight, pounds||2,910|
Mechanical Specifications (2-door convertible)
front: Independent; upper and lower A-arms, coil springs, antiroll bar, tubular hydraulic shock absorbers
rear: Live axle on semi-elliptic leaf springs, tubular hydraulic shock absorbers
front: 11-inch drum
rear: 11-inch drum
3-speed manual (std)
2-speed Powerglide (opt)
Standard axle ratio
|Type||ohv I-6||ohv V-8|
|Displacement, liters/cu inch||3.85/235.5 ||4.34/265.0|
|Bore x stroke, inches||3.56 x 3.95||3.75 x 3.00|
|Fuel Management||3 Carter sidedraft||Carter 4-bbl.|
|Horsepower @ rpm||150 @ 4200||195 @ 5000|
|Torque @ rpm, pound-foot||223 @ 2400||260 @ 3000|
Published Performance Numbers
| Acceleration||195 hp, Powerglide|
|0-60 mph, sec||8.7|
|0-100 mph, sec ||24.7 |
(Source: Road & Track)
Vehicle Production and Base Prices
| Car Type||Production||Price |
|2-door convertible, six-cylinder||700*||$2,774.00|
|2-door convertible, V-8||2,909.00|
*700 combined production
Options and Production
|Option||Production ||Price |
|Directional Signal||700||$16.75 |
|AM Radio, signal seeking||700 ||145.15 |
|Whitewall Tires, 6.70 x 15||700 ||26.90 |
|Powerglide Automatic Transmission||625 ||178.35 |
|Parking Brake Alarm||700 ||5.65 |
|Courtesy Lights||700 ||4.05 |
|Windshield Washer||700 ||11.85 |
Color Choices and Production
| Color Choice||Production|| Color Choice||Production |
|Polo White||325 ||Pennant Blue ||45 |
|Corvette Copper ||15 ||Gypsy Red ||180 |
|Harvest Gold ||120 || || |
Learn about other Corvettes in this generation:
Looking for more information on Corvettes and other cars? See:
- Corvettes: Learn about the history behind each model year and see Corvette photographs.
- Corvette Specifications: Get key specifications, engine and transmission types, prices, and production totals.
- Corvette Museum: The National Corvette Museum draws Corvette lovers from all over the world. Learn more about the museum.
- Corvette Pictures: Find pictures of the hottest classic and current-year Corvettes.
- Muscle Cars: Get information on more than 100 tough-guy rides.
- Consumer Guide Corvette Reviews: Considering a Corvette purchase? See what Consumer Guide has to say.