Lots More Information
Digital license plates are coming. HowStuffWorks looks at how digital license plates will change registration, Amber Alerts and even advertising.
Author's Note: 5 Futuristic Auto Repair Technologies
I get positively giddy whenever I spot a new article by Seth Stevenson. I'd reproduce him if I could, and keep a copy for myself, but the technology isn't ready yet. So when I saw his Slate piece this winter, about his experiments in 3-D printing, I was pretty sure it would be good. "Wired" magazine has been pushing the 3-D printing agenda pretty hard, and although Seth's as good a storyteller as anyone who writes for "Wired," that seems (at least in part) because his exploits usually don't go that smoothly. For example, molten plastic, like the kind that flows from the consumer-grade Solidoodle 3-D desktop printer, is supposed to be smooth, but not in Seth's hands. After three failed attempts, he gave up. The article is worth a read, though, because these are the scenarios I envision playing out in the hands of amateurs, no matter what "Wired" wants me to believe. I know plastic thread, like the kind used for the printer in the article, won't ever be capable of heavy-duty car parts. But I think the technology, in general, is a little behind what we're told.
- Bullis, Kevin. "Why Your Car Won't Get Remote Software Updates Anytime Soon." MIT Technology Review. Feb. 20, 2014. (Aug. 8, 2014) http://www.technologyreview.com/news/524791/why-your-car-wont-get-remote-software-updates-anytime-soon/
- Carney, Dan. "3D Printing Can Now Re-create An Entire Classic Car." Popular Mechanics. June 10, 2013. (Aug. 8, 2014) http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/vintage-speed/3d-printing-can-now-re-create-an-entire-classic-car-15566080
- Dearborn Group Technology. "Dearborn Group Technology's Wireless Diagnostics System." (Aug. 8, 2014) http://www.dgtech.com/aboutus/success_stories/dg_wireless_diagnostics.html
- Halzack, Sarah. "How innovation has changed the job of an auto repair technician." The Washington Post. May 26, 2013. (Aug. 8, 2014) http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/capitalbusiness/how-innovation-has-changed-the-job-of-an-auto-repair-technician/2013/05/24/17863e20-c181-11e2-ab60-67bba7be7813_story.html
- Okulski, Travis. "Augmented Reality App Will Help VW Techs Fix Your Car Correctly." Jalopnik. Oct. 1, 2013. (Aug. 8, 2014) http://jalopnik.com/augmented-reality-app-will-help-vw-techs-fix-your-car-c-1435794037
- Sorokanich, Robert. "Raspberry Pi on Wheels: The $35 Computer in the Car." Popular Mechanics. April 25, 2013. (Aug. 8, 2014) http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/maintenance/raspberry-pi-on-wheels-the-35-computer-in-the-car-?click=main_sr
- Stevenson, Seth. "A Factory in Every Foyer." Slate. March 9, 2014. (Aug. 14, 2014) http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/03/solidoodle_4_testing_the_home_3_d_printer.html
- Stewart, Jack. "How to fix a car -- without a mechanic." BBC. Jan. 20, 2014. (Aug. 8, 2014) http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140120-fix-a-car-without-a-mechanic
- Stratasys. "3D Printing for Automotive Parts Manufacturing." (Aug. 8, 2014) http://www.stratasys.com/industries/automotive
- Yahoo Finance. "Connected Cars, New Materials To Radically Change Collision Repair, Auto Leaders Tell I-CAR Conference." July 30, 2014. (Aug. 12, 2014) http://finance.yahoo.com/news/connected-cars-materials-radically-change-190000070.html
- Wernle, Bradford. "Group 1 body shops prep for the age of aluminum." Automotive News. Dec. 2, 2013. (Aug. 12, 2014) http://www.autonews.com/article/20131202/RETAIL/312029996/group-1-body-shops-prep-for-the-age-of-aluminum