Woven seatbelts can be stretched across recycled canvas frames to create modern art pieces. The webbing created from a variety of seatbelts with varying degrees of wear and tear can add visual interest to a square piece of art that can be as small or as large as the artist or buyer desires.
Artists who create such pieces can use environmentally friendly material like recycled seatbelts. They don't need to be as thoroughly cleaned like it would be if the material was being used for a pillow. To add to its green appeal, the frames can be constructed out of environmentally friendly sustainable sources like bamboo or reclaimed wood.
More Great Links
- Automedia.com. (Oct. 9, 2008) http://www.automedia.com/Saving_Seatbelts/res20001101sr/1
- Chalmers-Brooks, Katie. "Seatbelt recyclers have success in the bag." Business Edge: British Columbia Business News. Jan. 12, 2006.http://www.businessedge.ca/article.cfm/newsID/11615.cfm
- Danko. (Sept. 15, 2008)http://www.peterdanko.com
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online. "Vehicular safety devices." (Sept. 14, 2008)http://search.eb.com/eb/article-9074956.
- Etsy. (Sept. 14, 2008)http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=11048445
- GetUsedParts.com. (Sept. 14, 2008) http://www.getusedparts.com/auto_parts_guide/S/used_seat_belt.html
- Great Green Goods. (Sept. 14, 2008)http://greatgreengoods.com/index.php?s=seatbelt
- Harveys Seatbelt Bag. (Sept. 14, 2008)http://www.seatbeltbags.com/
- Inhabitat. (Sept. 14, 2008)http://www.inhabitat.com/2005/05/30/recycled-seatbelt- furniture/
- Instructables. (Sept. 15, 2008)http://www.instructables.com/id/Seat-Belt-Belt/
- Koerner, Brendan I. "Buckle Up? No, Sit Back and Relax." New York Times. July 15, 2007. (Sept 14, 2008) http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/15/business/yourmoney/15goods.html
- Recycled Seatbelts. (Sept.14, 2008)http://www.recycledseatbelts.com/
- Seatbelt Purse. (Sept.13, 2008)http://www.twofoos.com/crafts/sp.html
- Ting London. (Sept.14, 2008)http://tinglondon.com
- Treehugger. (Sept. 14, 2008)http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/04/seat-belt-lounge.php
If Texas HB 409 passes, parents could soon bypass the DMV and make their novice teens legal to drive. HowStuffWorks looks at the proposed Texas bill.