Mike Bazinet, Global Communications Director at Terex Corporation, already knew that his company made the biggest truck in the world. He was surprised to learn, however, that his company's truck is one inch shorter than the competition. But he took the news in stride.
The MT 6300AC was only recently introduced at the 2008 MinEXPO, an annual event for the mining industry. The truck had been tested in the tar sands in Canada, and a few are currently being used in mining operations in Australia. It's the only truck purpose-built to haul 400 tons (400,000 kilograms). The other trucks, according to Bazinet, are upscaled versions of trucks designed to carry 200 to 300 tons (200,000 to 300,000 kilograms).
It should come as no surprise, then, that Terex also makes the biggest excavator, another machine purpose-built for mining. "It can lift 100 tons (100,000 kilograms) in one bucket," said Bazinet. "It can fill the MT 6300AC in four passes." Both of these machines are used for mining tar sands in Canada, and for that reason, the MT 6300AC can be equipped with a heated bed to keep the sticky stuff from congealing in the Canadian chill.
Want one of the biggest trucks in the world for yourself? You'd better start saving up. Trucks like these cost millions of dollars. In fact, depending on the options you choose, the MT 6300AC costs "$4 to $5 million dollars per copy," said Bazinet. He did, however, mention the possibility of a discount if you buy several at once.
For more information about big trucks and other related topics, follow the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Bazinet, Mike. Global Communications Director for Terex Corporation. Personal interview. Conducted June 23, 2009.
- Caterpillar. "797B Mining Truck." (June 16, 2009) http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=308669&x=7
- Hitachi Construction Machinery. "Rigid Dump Trucks." (June 16, 2009) http://www.hitachi-c-m.com/global/products/rigid/index.html
- Hitachi. "EH5000 Specifications." (June 16, 2009) http://www.hitachiconstruction.com/en_US/cfd/construction/hitachi_const/pdf/specs/trucks/EH5000.pdf
- Komatsu America. "930E-4." (June 16, 2009) http://www.komatsuamerica.com/?p=equipment&f1=view&prdt_id=920#info
- Komatsu America. "Dimensions." (June 16, 2009) http://www.komatsuamerica.com/viewchart.aspx?prdt_id=920&chart=1
- Komatsu. "Dump Trucks." (June 16, 2009) http://www.komatsu.com/ce/products/dump_trucks.html
- Liebherr. "Job Report: R 996/T 282." (June 16, 2009) http://www.liebherr.com/catXmedia/em/Documents/a84367fc-a083-4b9d-a23b-2116ad274ba9.pdf
- Liebherr. "Mining Trucks." (June 16, 2009) http://www.liebherr.com/me/en/products_mc.asp?menuID=106220!2044-0
- MechanicsHub.com. "World's Largest Truck: T 282 by Liebherr." (June 16, 2009) http://www.mechanicshub.com/mechanics-hub-community/21-worlds-biggest/148-World-Largest-Truck-T-282-by-Liebherr.html
- Terex Corporation. "Mining Trucks." (June 16, 2009) http://www.terex.com/main.php?obj=category&action=BROWSE&cid=182b2104d7a1ce2c68b57b49f8c1436c&nav=prod#nb_d97e204d5e73962e595735d68fad8ae3