The most immediate competitor for the Veritas RS III Hybrid is the Porsche 918 Hybrid, which will be available for sale in September 2013. It's got a 400 horsepower V-8 gasoline-powered engine plus two -- count 'em, two -- electric motors, one on each axle. Porsche is claiming their plug-in hybrid will have the same 0 to 60-mile per hour (96.6-kilometer per hour) time, 3.1 seconds, and a top speed just shy of 200 miles per hour (321.9 kilometers per hour). It remains to be seen if the real-world versions of these cars can live up to (or surpass) these early estimates. One thing we do know about the Porsche 918 Hybrid: it'll cost a whopping $845,000 in the United States.
At the other end of the plug-in hybrid sports car spectrum is the Fisker Karma, which will be available in the summer of 2011. It's got a 260 horsepower gasoline engine, and, like the Porsche, one electric motor per axle. It's a little pokier than these other supercars, with a top speed of only 95 miles per hour (152.9 kilometers per hour) and a 0 to 60-mile per hour (96.6-kilometer per hour) time of 5.9 seconds, but it's a fraction of their prices, at just under $100,000.
Vermot AG isn't resting on its laurels with these two versions of the Veritas, either. It has scrapped plans to introduce a Coupe version of the gasoline-powered Roadster in favor of developing a luxury city car instead. After experimenting with the hybrid, Vermot will also produce an all-electric version in 2013. It's likely any Veritas RS III, no matter what technology is under the carbon/Kevlar skin, will be exclusive, stunning and fast. Very fast.
More Great Links
- TopSpeed.com. "2012 Veritas RS III Hybrid." March 9, 2011. (March 16, 2011)http://www.topspeed.com/cars/veritas-rs-iii/ke3192.html
- Fisker. (March 23, 2011)http://karma.fiskerautomotive.com/#!/karma/gallery
- Lavrinc, Damon. "Veritas RS III Roadster Hybrid: The world's fastest plug-in hybrid." Translogic. March 8, 2011. (March 16, 2011)http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/03/08/veritas-rsiii-roadster-hybrid/
- Phillip, Sam. "Veritas RSIII: now on sale, still scary." TopGear.com. Oct. 20, 2009. (March 23, 2011)http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/veritas-rsIII-2009-10-20
- Porsche North America. "Porsche's Plug-In Hybrid 918 Spyder Goes From Dream to Reality." March 21, 2011. (March 23, 2011)http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=637
- Trick, Michael. Spokesperson for Vermot AG. E-mail interview conducted on March 29, 2011.
- Vermot AG. (March 16, 2011)http://en.vermot-ag.com/inhalt.php?id=3304&menu_level=1&id_mnu=3304&id_kunden=422
- Voelcker, John. "Green Car Faceoff: Who's the World's Fastest Plug-in Hybrid?" March 9, 2011. (March 16, 2011)http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/1056523_green-car-faceoff-whos-the-worlds-fastest-plug-in-hybrid