Lots More Information
HowStuffWorks looks at how scientists are using new technology, along with GPS and LIDAR, to map country roads so self-driving cars can use them too.
Author's Note: 10 Hottest New Cars for 2013
If you pay attention to such things, you may have noticed that the Scion FR-S, which appears early on our list, is similar to the new Subaru BRZ coupe. Really similar. That's because they were co-developed by Toyota and Subaru.
I write about cars. I like cars, and tend to be especially fond of sporty imports. So I know this happens -- it's really common. Look at the VW/Audi/Porsche family. It happens constantly in the GM universe and in the Dodge/Chrysler end of Detroit, too. But for some reason, this particular partnership took me by surprise. And although I've seen several FR-S and BRZ examples in person, the connection never clicked. Never once did I think, "Hmmm ... that's an interesting coincidence. A Subaru RWD hatchback coupey thing! And a sexy little RWD Scion! Priced kinda similarly!" (To my credit, at least I never saw them together. Then I'd really feel like a bonehead.)
I always learn something new when I'm writing a HowStuffWorks article -- if I didn't, I'd be doing it wrong. Sometimes, this new knowledge takes the form of, "This might be useful ... someday." Often, I'm blessed with a mouthful of new trivia. But it's rare that I find out something I really should have already known.
- 2012 New York Auto Show
- 2013 Cars
- 2014 Cars
- 2015 Cars
- 5 Future Car Technologies That Truly Have a Chance
- Burgess, Scott. "Big Chevy closeout deals have 2013 Malibu Eco sitting on lots in favor of 2012 models." Autoblog. July 30, 2012. (Oct. 15, 2012) http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/30/big-chevy-closeout-deals-have-2013-malibu-eco-sitting-on-lots-in/
- Consumer Guide Automotive. "2013 Toyota Prius c." (Oct. 15, 2012) https://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2013-toyota-prius-c.htm
- Consumer Guide Automotive. "2013 Cars." (Oct. 15, 2012) https://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2013-cars.htm
- Dodge. "2013 Dodge Dart." (Oct. 20, 2012) http://www.dodge.com/en/2013/dart/
- Febbo, Michael. "2013 Audi Allroad First Test." Motor Trend. July 18, 2012. (Oct. 15, 2012) http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/wagons/1207_2013_audi_allroad_first_test/viewall.html
- Frank, Michael. "Best New Cars for 2013." Popular Mechanics. (Oct. 15, 2012) http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/preview-concept/12-more-new-cars-worth-waiting-for#slide-1
- Jurnecka, Rory. "2013 Scion FR-S First Test." Motor Trend. April 24, 2012. (Oct. 15, 2012) http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1204_2013_scion_fr_s_first_test/viewall.html
- Markus, Frank. "2013 SRT Viper First Drive." Motor Trend. Sept. 10, 2012. (Oct. 15, 2012) http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/1209_2013_srt_viper_first_drive/viewall.html
- Neil, Dan. "Cadillac XTS Sedan Needs a Slow Hand." Wall Street Journal. Aug. 24, 2012. (Oct. 15, 2012) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444812704577605492913106230.html
- Neil, Dan. "Sorry, Can't Hear You Over the Subaru Crosstrek." Wall Street Journal. Sept. 21, 2012. (Oct. 15, 2012) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443995604578004270635022816.html
- Schultz, Jonathan. "Relying on Grand Style in a Crowd of Athletes." The New York Times. (Oct. 15, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/automobiles/autoreviews/relying-on-glam-style-in-a-crowd-of-athletes.html
- Siu, Jason. "Dodge Dart R/T Delayed, SRT4 Confirmed." AutoGuide.com. Sept. 4, 2012. (Oct. 15, 2012) http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/09/dodge-dart-rt-delayed-srt4-confirmed.html
- Weaver, Alistair. "2013 BMW X1 First Drive." Edmunds.com. July 26, 2012. (Oct. 15, 2012) http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x1/2013/road-test.html