Lots More Information
General Motors has developed a self-driving car called the Cruise AV that has no steering wheel or pedals. Learn more at HowStuffWorks.
Author's Note: 10 Features We Want to See in Self-Driving Cars
It's funny — when you ask most people what features a self-driving car should have, they look at you blankly. A car that can drive itself is already a mind-blower; what else could you possibly want? I'd prod them with a few seeds of ideas, and tell them to really let their imaginations go wild, and they would say in all seriousness, "I have no idea." I'll admit it was even a little challenging to me. But once you delve into the possibilities and projects that engineers are already working on, you realize there's a whole new world of automotive tech coming in the next decade, whether consumers are ready for it or not. A sensor, a new airbag, and a 3-mile per gallon (1.3-kilometer per liter) increase in gas mileage aren't going to cut it anymore. The future of cars has the potential to be pretty freaking awesome.
- Clark Estes, Adam. "What's Keeping Self-Driving Cars Off the Road?" Gizmodo.com. Oct. 24, 2014. (June 11, 2014) http://gizmodo.com/whats-keeping-self-driving-cars-off-the-road-1450916024
- Cooper, Sean. "What you need to know about self-driving cars." Engadget.com. June 6, 2014. (June 11, 2014) http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/06/explainer-self-driving-cars/
- Fehrenbacher, Katie. "Self-driving cars are coming soon and will revolutionize cities and society." Gigaom.com. March 18, 2014. (June 11, 2014) http://gigaom.com/2014/03/18/self-driving-cars-are-coming-soon-and-will-revolutionize-cities-society/
- Francois, Camille. "Self-Driving Cars Will Turn Surveillance Woes Into a Mainstream Worry." Wired. May 13, 2014. (June 11, 2014) http://www.wired.com/2014/05/self-driving-cars-will-turn-surveillance-woes-into-a-mainstream-issue/
- Hirsch, Jerry. "Google's driverless car will need more testing, watchdog group warns." Los Angeles Times. June 10, 2014. (June 11, 2014) http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-consumer-watchdog-warns-dmv-on-googles-driverless-car-20140610-story.html
- Howard, Bill. "V2V: What are vehicle-to-vehicle communications and how do they work?" ExtremeTech.com. Feb. 6, 2014. (June 11, 2014) http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/176093-v2v-what-are-vehicle-to-vehicle-communications-and-how-does-it-work
- Motavalli, Jim. "Self-Driving Cars Will Take Over By 2040." Forbes. Sept. 25, 2012. (June 11, 2014) http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
- Ross, Philip E. "Cars That Look and Listen to Find Themselves a Parking Spot." IEEE Spectrum. April 28, 2014. (June 11, 2014) http://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-think/transportation/advanced-cars/cars-that-find-themselves-a-parking-spot
- Ross, Philip E. "Driverless Cars: Optional by 2024, Mandatory by 2044." IEEE Spectrum. May 29, 2014. (June 11, 2014) http://spectrum.ieee.org/transportation/advanced-cars/driverless-cars-optional-by-2024-mandatory-by-2044
- Vijayenthiran, Viknesh. "Nissan may introduce self-driving car by 2018." The Christian Science Monitor. June 6, 2014. (June 11, 2014) http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In-Gear/2014/0606/Nissan-may-introduce-self-driving-car-by-2018
- Waytz, Adam, Joy Heafner, and Nicholas Epley. "The Mind in the Machine: Anthropomorphism Increases Trust in an Autonomous Vehicle." University of Chicago Booth School of Business. (June 29, 2014) http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/nicholas.epley/WaytzHeafnerEpley.pdf
- Wilkins, Alasdair. "How Isaac Asimov's Non-Deadly Robots Got Lethal." io9.com. May 24, 2009. (June 29, 2014) http://io9.com/5268218/how-isaac-asimovs-non-deadly-robots-got-lethal