Covering your neck is a must while riding a motorcycle. Start by slathering on the sunscreen . Exposed skin absorbs heat from the sun and is at risk of sunburn, windburn and, potentially, skin cancer. You can help prevent hyperthermia by covering and cooling the carotid arteries on either side of your neck, which deliver blood to the brain.
Many companies sell scarves made from special fabrics that they claim won't go dry for days on end, but you can regulate your body temperature on a shorter trip by soaking a simple cloth bandanna. Carry a water-filled spray bottle or stop at a rest area to resoak the garment when it dries out.
You're ready to ride! Don't be surprised if people start asking you for advice about motorcycles. You'll be a fount of knowledge when you bone up on bikes below.
- Baker Built Air Wings, Inc. ''Air Wings Demonstration Video.'' 2009. (May 21, 2011) http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/index.htm
- Cherney, Andrew. ''Hot-Weather Motorcycle Apparel and Gear.'' Motorcycle Cruiser. February 2009. (May 14, 2011)http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/hot_weather_gear/index.html
- Cherney, Andrew. ''Summer Gloves: Buyer's Guide.'' Motorcycle Cruiser. August 2005. (May 13, 2011) http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/0508_crup_summer_gloves_buyers_guide/index.html
- Conley, Paul. Owner, Moto Market Protective Gear. Personal interview. May 20, 2011.
- Frazier, Gregory. ''Motorcycle Touring: Everything you need to know.'' Motorbooks. 2005.
- Hough, David. ''Motorcycle Tips: Hot Weather Riding.'' Sound Rider. (May 13, 2011) http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safety-skills/when_youre_hot.htm
- Madstad Engineering. ''Madstad Engineering.'' 2011. (May 21, 2011)http://www.madstad.com/
- Mokey, Nick. ''Must-Have Motorcycle Accessories: The Ultimate Gear Test Drive.'' Popular Mechanics. Oct. 1, 2009. (May 19, 2011) http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/4235875?click=main_sr
- Motorcycle and Moped Industry Council. ''Motorcycle Industry Statistics.'' 2011. (May 21, 2011). http://www.mmic.ca/content.asp?ContentId=1058
- Motorcycle Cruiser. ''14 Warm-Weather Motorcycle Gloves.'' February 2009. (May 19, 2011) http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/warm_weather_glove_comparison/index.html
- Motorcycle Magazine editors; Stein, John. ''The Complete Idiot's Guide to Motorcycles: Fifth Edition.'' Source Interlink Media LLC. 2011.
- National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration. ''Calculating Lives Saved by Motorcycle Helmets.'' August 2005. (May 20, 2011)http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809861.PDF
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. ''National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety.'' (May 20, 2011) http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/00-NHT-212-motorcycle/human27-29.html
- Pryce Levitt, Jordan. Director of Sales, REV'IT! Sport USA. Personal interview. May 20, 2011.
- Rau, Fred. ''Motorcycle Touring Bible.'' MBI Publishing Company. 2010.
- RevZilla Blog. ''Warm Weather Adventure Motorcycle Gear Guide 2011.'' March 30, 2011. (May 13, 2011)http://blog.revzilla.com/2011/03/warm-weather-adventure-motorcycle-gear.html
- Sample, Ian. ''Scientists debunk the myth that most heat is lost through head.'' The Guardian. December 18, 2008. (May 21, 2011) http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/dec/17/medicalresearch-humanbehaviour
- Siahaan, Troy. ''MotoGP Corkscrew Jacket and Apex Leather Pants.'' Rider. July 2007. (May 13, 2011) http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?ID=1260361
- Stermer, Bill. ''Harley-Davidson Motorcycles: Everything You Need to Know.'' Motorbooks. 2007.
Cold-weather motorcycle accessories can help keep your ride comfortable in the cooler seasons. Read about 10 motorcycle accessories for cold weather at HowStuffWorks.