Transmissions are designed to go into the correct gear every time, so when they hesitate or refuse to go, it's a sure sign there's something wrong. With manual transmission problems, you may notice after shifting into a gear that the car's engine will rev up, but the car won't be moving as quickly as the engine is running. In this case, a worn-out clutch or more serious transmission problem may be occurring [source: AAMCO].
Automatic transmissions have the same lack-of-response problem, but will usually manifest the issue while engaging the "Park" or "Drive" selection. The car should shift quickly into either of these modes, but if your transmission hesitates to go into either one, then it's likely there's an issue with the transmission.
For more information about transmissions and other related topics, follow the links below.
- Top 10 Everyday Car Technologies that Came from Racing
- How Car Computers Work
- How Driverless Cars Will Work
- How Hypercars Work
- How Auto Transport Works
- How Automotive Production Lines Work
- Can you assemble your own car?
- What makes a digital car digital?
- What's new in synthetic oil technology?
- Will car repairs in the future financially cripple you?
- AAMCO. "Transmission Troubleshooting - Automatic Transmission." (Oct. 12, 2009) http://www.aamco.com/troubleshooting/manual_transmission.html
- AAMCO. "Transmission Troubleshooting - Manual Transmission." (Oct. 12, 2009) http://www.aamco.com/troubleshooting/automatic_transmission.html
- American Transmissions (Texas). "Top 10 Reasons for Transmission Problems." (Nov. 25, 2011) http://americantransmissionsoftexas.com/transmission-maintenance/top-10-reasons-for-transmission-problems/
- Autos.com. "Common Transmission Problems and How to Fix Them." (Nov. 24, 2011) http://www.autos.com/car-maintenance/common-transmission-problems-and-how-to-fix-them
- Gittleman, Mark. "Automatic Transmission Problems." Certifiedmastertech.com. Jan. 27, 2010. (Nov. 23, 2011) http://www.certifiedmastertech.com/wordpress/2010/01/27/automatic-transmission-problems/
- Lee Myles Transmissions and Auto Care. "Ten Tips to a Healthy Transmission." (Oct. 12, 2009) http://leemyles.com/faq.htm
- Procarcare.com. "Troubleshooting Basic Clutch and Manual Transmission Problems." (Nov. 26, 2011) http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch20/20TSclutch.html
Can you name five signs that point to power loss for your car engine? HowStuffWorks can help you identify power loss problems for your engine.