Lots More Information
The CarStuff guys explore why there aren't more cool-looking, provocative cars with new features that make you gasp. Read more at HowStuffWorks.
Author's Note: 10 Most Terrifying Vehicle Manufacturing Defects
When tasked with finding 10 terrifying car defects, I learned that there is something like 500 recalls every year in recent years. Most of them are really, really, really not terrifying at all. They're almost all little fixes; cheap and easy things. Manufacturers have finally learned (though not GM, apparently) that it's a lot easier to bring people and their cars into the dealership for a wee repair-and-replace maneuver than it is to wait for things to go horribly wrong on the highway. Some of the biggest recalls in history were also decidedly unscary, like Honda's recall of seatbelt buckles, for instance. Little pieces would break off and fall inside the slot, and then the buckle would get stuck. That seems inconvenient and, maybe at worst, frustrating. Not terrifying. Hardly the stuff of horror movies.
- Atiyeh, Clifford. "Recall Throwdown: Analyzing Automakers' Recall History in the Past 30 Years — Who Is Worst?" Car and Driver. April 24, 2014. (July 9, 2014) http://blog.caranddriver.com/recall-throwdown-analyzing-automakers-recall-history-in-the-past-30-years-who-is-worst/
- AutoMechanicSchools.net. "Top 10 Most Infamous Car Recalls Ever." (July 9, 2014) http://www.automechanicschools.net/blog/top-10-most-infamous-car-recalls-ever/
- Bell, Claes. "The 8 most infamous car recalls in history." Bankrate.com. 2010. (July 9, 2014) http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/the-8-most-infamous-car-recalls-in-history-2.aspx
- Consumer Reports. "Top 10 largest car recalls in American history." Oct. 12, 2012. (July 9, 2014) http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/10/top-10-largest-car-recalls-in-american-history/index.htm
- Isidore, Chris. "Toyota's huge fine won't dent its $60 billion cash pile." CNN Money. March 19, 2014. (July 9, 2014) http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/19/news/companies/toyota-cash-pile/
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. (July 15, 2014) http://www.nhtsa.gov/
- Wallace, Gregory. "Biggest auto recalls ever." CNN Money. May 27, 2014. (July 9, 2014) http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/27/autos/biggest-auto-recalls/
- Wendler, Andrew. "10 Largest Auto Recalls in History." MSN Autos. (July 9, 2014) http://editorial.autos.msn.com/10-largest-auto-recalls-in-history
- Wilson, Kevin A. "Why Are There So Many Car Recalls?" Popular Mechanics. April 30, 2013. (July 15, 2014) http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/industry/why-are-there-so-many-car-recalls-15413366